thread: baptism/christening

belmarks Guest

baptism/christening

hi just wondering if anyone knows what would be an acceptable donation to make to a church for a christening?

Sal Guest

Hi Bel, my sister gave her church $50. If that is stretching your purse-strings too far, make it less, after all that's what churches are there for!

lilyd Guest

Hi,

For my DS we gave $100, because the priest was lovely and it goes directly to him, not the church.

With our DD, we gave $70, didn't like the priest all that much, although on the day he was wonderful and I felt guilty that we didn't give as much.

We figure you are paying for a service, and a lovely one at that so I would give what you can afford.

Kylie

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2005
    sunshine coast

the church i had DD baptised at told me in our first meeting that a $200 donation would be appreciated! i was a bit shocked but we gave $100 - luckily it was only eliana done that morning - would have made heaps if they had more kids - my nephew was baptised at the same church 6 weeks later & they weren't asked to donate anything!!!

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

I was wondering about this too - DH reckons $100 is too much!

Hmm..., maybe we'll give $70

Debbie Lee Guest

We will probably donate around $100 but that's because it's Mum's church and they have helped us out SOOOO much over the years. They even supplied all the food and drinks for Neil's Dad's wake a few years ago after Mum told them our story.
    If it was just any old church we were going to, I'd say about $50??

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    Wonga Park

Donations

We gave $50.00 - it was sugested a donation up to $50 but seeing as there was only one of us to be done on the day I felt a bit embarassed if we gave any less. Give what you think is reasonable and what you can afford.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

We didn't give any, but we have been a part of the church for 4 years now and we made all the "supper" for afterwards Also as ours was a dedication we had our close friends do it.

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2005
    near the water

My MIL actually did the information night at the Catholic church where Eliza was christened...she told us the usual donation was $50.

Pietta Guest

OOps we didnt give any and it wasnt discussed either with the priest!! #-o