Thread: Baptism/Christenings for Newborns???

belmarks Guest

Default Baptism/Christenings for Newborns???

Hi all,

just wanted to know if anyone has their baby baptised much anymore.

I am thinking about having our little man baptised because we want him to go to a private school in the future.

I am not baptised and my DH is christened church of england, can we get our son baptised in the catholic church?

We are not religious either, which I guess is a bit hipocritical, but we would like to give him the option to be religious if he wants to be I suppose???

Any ideas??

I have gotten all of my children Baptised. Tehya isn't done yet but I'm lanning it for this Sept. I was Baptised as a baby by the Catholic church. As were my older children. Their Dad's aren't Catholic but because I am it is ok to get them done there. Not sure how you go not being a Catholic yourself though. I guess nobody needs to know but can you lie to a Priest.

You have to make sure atleast 1 of the Godparents is Catholic too. And from memory I think you have to agree that your child will be brought up as a Catholic in their traditions and religion. If any of this info is wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

I'm not a religious person either but I do like the idea of giving my child a religion. I have other reasons too, but am not going into them, religion is one thing that is sure to start arguements

Take care
    Trish

belmarks Guest

Thanks for the info Trish, and yes you're right, religion sure does start arguments!!

You may be asked to start attending the church before they'll baptise him there.

We are planning on getting Matthew christened in September as well, we don't attend church but we have our reasons as well. I think I'll leave that there too.

Same same. We want to get Jenna christened, but we dont have a church to go to. I guess its because we were all christened as was Shane's family.
    We have a family friend who is a reverend in the presbytarian (sp??) church, and he has offered to do the christening in our home as his church is 100kms away. We want to christen Church of England though, so not sure how we are going to work it out.
    I know you have to say you will take them to Sunday school etc.

What age are babies usually christened/baptised?? We were aiming 6 months??
    Bel - if you are getting your child baptised, you may have to get baptised too?? I think Lesley (Mouse) was going through this, and has been attended church.

If neither you or your dh are Catholic it will probably be difficult to persuade a Catholic priest to baptise your little one – difficult but not impossible, some younger priests are a little more progressive in their thinking.
    I was baptised and attended Catholic private schools but I am pretty sure that being baptised isn’t a prerequisite to attend Catholic schools now (although it used to be). Be careful too about mentioning that you only want him baptised so he can get into your preferred school – baptism is viewed as a spiritual thing and they probably won’t like to hear that as your reason.
    Good luck!

This is very interesting, I`ll explain why:
    I was baptised a Catholic, I don`t attend Church but have my own beliefs which I stick to and one of them is to have my Children baptised. I was told by my sister about 3 years ago that she couldn`t have her children baptised Catholic for the following reasons: Father isn`t a catholic, Mother is a catholic but not practicing and you require 2 practicing Godparents.

So I gathered that Matthew could never be Baptised a Catholic as Mark isn`t Baptised (a long story there as to why not) and I don`t attend Church and we don`t know 2 Catholic Godparents.

I haven`t rang the Catholic Church as I thought they`d never accept Matthew because of the above, I did ring the Anglican Church (where Mark and I married) to find out how to get Matthew baptised and it was very simple , I would have loved him to be baptised Catholic but by what I`ve been told it`s imposible.

Fi - I was baptised at 6 weeks but theres no age limit just when it suits you.

Take Care

Deeanne

Fi, Joel wasn't Baptised til he was 2, Brandon was done at 4 months, Noah around the same age and Tehya will hopefully be done by the time she is 6 months old.

Dee, obviously it varies between parishes and priests. As I said neither of my DP or Ex DP were catholics and I had no problems. I did have to go to a night at the church where they talk about the sacrement of Baptism but that was about it. They do prefer you to go to mass a few time too. Actually the idea is for you to keep going, but I never did 8-[ Christmas, weddings and funerals are usually it for me.

Take care
    Trish

Thanks Trish, I might just give the local Catholic parish a call and find out

Take Care

Deeanne

Custardtart Guest

I don't think that being baptised has any effect upon school enrolments these days, in fact, I recall a Catholic neighbour talking about it a couple of years back saying that the local Catholic primary school had been trying to limit the number of non-catholic children attending, and were bluntly told that it was discriminatory to do so and they couldn't choose students based on religion.

We had a dedication ceremony for our girls, but our church believes that baptism should be an individual choice taken when the person is old enough to choose for themselves, not something that is 'done to them' at an age where they have no say in it.
    Please note that I am NOT saying anything against the traditional Catholic baptism, just presenting an alternative if you are unsure about how you want to approach it.

Ceremonies like baptism have such a deep meaning to so many people... please make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Kerrie

We are in the process of planning Zander's batiptism for September. Can't help you on the Catholic thing though as we are Anglican (Church of England).

We had Ryan christened catholic on Sunday, i am not catholic but dp and his family are, we had no problems with me not being catholic.

belmarks Guest

thanks for all the insight ladies. I think the reasons for us wanting to have Coby baptised are spiritual, but I guess being baptised catholic isn't really a must, we could have him baptised in another church I guess. I just don't want to NOT have him baptised and him regret it, like I did because my parents didn't have me baptised.

Like I said, I am not really religious, I have my own set of beliefs and I do believe that there is a god up there somewhere, otherwise I wouldn't have this precious little baby after loads of praying by us and other family members. But I would really like to give Coby the option of being religious if he wants to, I guess he could always be christened later on too, but I would really like to do it now for his spiritual sake. Silly isn't it, I just can't put my finger on why, but I really would like to have him christened.

I think we might go Anglican, as my DH was baptised church of england (anglican) so that won't be a problem. I guess I could always get baptised too.....

Custardtart Guest

That's really sweet, Bel! O

Kerrie