Thread: Bassinette Mattress

Default Bassinette Mattress

I know you're suppose to change a cot mattress with every baby but what about bassinette mattresses?

I am guessing that the same theory would apply Tegan?
    Unless the mattress has been covered by a protector all of the time it was in use?
    I myself wouldnt have known of the risks associated with re-using mattresses until all of those articles came out last year, but I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

First I've heard of it - I had no idea you are supposed to change mattresses, Grace is using the same mattress Harry used and has been for the last 10 or so months. What are the risks?

Bon

I have just done some more research into it, and here is an excerpt of a statement released by the SIDS & Kids website.

S. aureus is a common bacteria found on the skin and in the nose and throats of healthy human beings including infants.
    It has been reported by Blackwell et al. (2002) that toxins released from Staphylococcus aureus were identified in tissues of 53% of SIDS infants in five different countries.
    Although toxins were isolated in these infants it is not known whether they contributed to their deaths.

A study by Molony et al. (1999) found that laying infants on their tummy raises the airway temperature to a level required for S. aureus to produce harmful toxins and postulated that this could explain one reason why infants are more at risk of SIDS in the tummy position.

A recent article by Jenkins and Sherburn (2005) reports that cot mattresses made from polyurethane foam and PVC covers can act as a reservoir for S. aureus even whilst the mattress is in storage.
    In a separate study these same researchers found that simulated infant movement can influence the release of bacteria from cot mattress materials.
    As it is normal for the airways of infants to contain S. aureus, it is not known how relevant this is.
    An earlier study by Sherburn and Jenkins (2004) found that the frequency of isolation of S. aureus from cot mattress (exposed polyurethane foam) was significantly higher than from foams from the integral type i.e. completely covered by polyvinyl chloride, particularly if another child had previously used the mattress. This study also found that the prone sleeping position significantly increased bacterial population of S. aureus.

In 2002, a study by Tappin et al. found an association between use of a used infant mattress and increased risk of SIDS, particularly if the mattress was from another home. Unfortunately this paper did not provide details of the condition of the mattresses used in the study (i.e. if the surface was torn, dirty, no longer firm etc).

Conclusion
    S. aureus is a common organism that normally lives on the skin and in the nose and throats of healthy infants. It is therefore not surprising that S. aureus has been found in the foam of cot mattresses particularly if the foam is exposed and previously used by other infants.
    Although there is some evidence to show that there is a higher incidence of SIDS on some second hand mattresses, it is not known what condition these mattresses were in or what position these babies slept in. There is no evidence to show that the risk of SIDS increases for babies who sleep on their back and on a firm, clean, well fitting mattress that is in good condition.

So another words providing you take good care of the mattress, and its been cleaned properly you are fine?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Well I guess they dont really have any concrete evidence do they?...
    Although they say there was some evidence to show an increases risk of SIDS with bubs on second hand mattresses, they actually do not even know what condition these mattresses were in, or what position the babies were sleeping in on them... so its hard to really call it proper 'evidence' isnt it.

So I would say that a well kept & clean mattress, especially if you have been using a mattress protector, should be ok....

Indah is on same mattress that Maddy slept on, but it's had a cover on it all the time, I am assuming it'll be good still.. It certainly isn't/hasnt sunk or anything or is floppy, almost same as when I originally bought it!

Maddy was in a bed by 2yrs of age & still doesnt weigh much, not enough to make a mattress sink or dented...

Well I feel better now, our cot mattress always has a cover on it too, plus it is in good condition. I won't be rushing out to buy a new one now!

Bon

Tegan - I asked the same question about 6 weeks or so ago. I think in the end do what you feel is the right thing to do, as Mark says to me what`s the price of a mattress if we feel safer buying a new one, if something unfortunate did happen, I`d be kicking myself that we should have spent a little bit of money to buy a new mattress, that`s my thoughts anyway.

I did consider putting the mattress outside in the sun etc to kill any gems which may be in there but now I`m pondering about buying a new one. I know we were all on second hand mattresses unless we were the first child born but things change just look at when the recommended age to start solids is now compared to just a few years back and the list of changes go on.

Now after all that ramble - Do what you think is the right thing to do.

Yeah, i'm like you Dee. I think i will just buy a new mattress. I don't think they cost all that much anyways.

Thanks everyone for the info.

We used a second hand cot mattress for Nicholas.

Would puttung the bassinette matress though the dryer on hot kill the germs??!