Thread: Bed time for 4.5 month old?

Default Bed time for 4.5 month old?

What time did you/do you put your little one to bed?

Jordan usually goes at 10pm but I want to try to get him there by 7pm, is that reasonable?

He (on good nights) wakes for a feed at 3am, then wakes again around 5, when he usually gets a nappy change then in our bed and sleeps till 9am....Often has a nap at 6pm till 8pm then is awake till 10..

He is demand BF,

thanks!

4.5month... I think we were aiming for 7-8pm then. DS was a shocking sleeper at this age (due to pain) so most nights he was down for 8-9pm-ish. We didn't let him have a nap after 4pm then - we wouldn't wake him if asleep, but if awake he wasn't going to have a sleep.

It's reasonable and I would make it easier on the whole family by moving his bedtime by half an hour a week - he'll be too surprised if you move it three hours all of a sudden.

HTH.

I've always put my 2 in bed at about 7 at this age. Our DS who is now 2 and a bit goes at 7.30-8ish.

Our DD wakes at around 6.30am back to bed at 9.30-10 for a couple of hours, then another sleep at about 2.30-3ish for an hour or so, then bath at 6.30 bed at 7. It's totally doable and very reasonable I think!

We have had a bedtime of 7-730 since she was around 6 weeks old, and ther routine has pretty much stayed the same. On some nights if we are out, or if she wakes late etc it might be a tiny bit later but not very often. Even when she was demand fed and fed 3 hourly early on, we had this bedtime, and routine, and every feed between 7-7 was treated as a quiet night feed with dim lights and no noise etc... I think it is very reasonable to have this time as a bedtime especially as they get older. Good luck with it!

Charlie has always been in bed by 7 most nights unless he's had a late arvo nap...even now at almost 15months he is still in bed at that time & earlier if he's been to daycare as he only has a short nap there. Tonight he was down at 6pm no fuss....it can be done. I agree, treat the feeds after a certain time like night & it should be able to happen. If he is in bed at 6pm then is obviously tired at that time & I'm thinking only goes back at 10pm because of the nap earlier. So perhaps try treating that as night time. Give a bath etc before & perhaps dim lights etc & when he wakes treat it like a night feed & see how it goes. Just means will prob wake earlier in the morn. Though I admitt I love when our DS goes to be as we have lots of "us" time.

Hi,
    There is really no right way where bedtimes are concerned. It just depends what sort of people you are. I'm an early riser (or maybe I became so, after 4 children) but I do find I'm at my best in the morning. We all tend to go to bed early. However, I have friends who are "night owls" - stay up til the early hours of the morning and like to sleep in. It doesn't bother them that their children stay up a bit later (truthfully, no child would WANT to be with me after 8.30pm) In some families one parent works late, and the child would never see them if they went to bed at 7pm, so they tend to stay up a bit later. So, do what works for you. It sounds like Jordan has a pretty good routine at the moment. Whatever you do is likely to be a compromise between your needs and Jordan's - be prepared to be flexible. You might find to your joy that he goes down easily at 7pm. You'll feel like you've hit the jackpot. But you might find that it just doesn't work so well - and you need to be a bit flexible in your approach

Warm Regards
    Barb

i did answer in the other thread but at 4.5 months DD was in bed at 5.45

I fed a little different to you but I think you can make what ever bedtime for your little one that you think is best. If you do want your little one in bed earlier then maybe you could decide when Jordan's nap time begins and ends. So then if his last nap of the day starts earlier and ends earlier, your earlier bed time might be more easy coz he'll be more tired. I did a bf for DD around the 7/7.30pm mark too but I would make that the bed time and then get her up for a 'dream feed' (so not really rouse her too much, everything stays whisper quiet and dark) around 10/10.30pm and then she would make it to approx 6/6.30am......on a good day By doing that I've managed to maintain a 7pm bedtime for both my girls (DD#2 still bf before bed atm)

...oh and I agree too with moving the bedtime back gradually

hth

I think I remember asking this question on here when DD was a similar age
    We did change her bedtime to an earlier time, only because I wanted to be able to have dinner alone with DH. Dinner had become an up and down event where we'd do a bit of eating, and a bit of settling the cranky baby She went down well at around 7, though until she was about 7-8 months, she used to wake at 9:30 for the first feed (then often 2-hourly after that)... So, my sleep routine advice isn't necessarily valuable, LOL!
    One of my friends has an almost 6mo who stays up til around 9pm, then sleeps through til around 6am. That is certainly working well for them as a family, so they won't be changing it any time soon

I wish!! Euan at that age went down at anywhere between 10:30 and 12:30pm. He's never gone to bed earlier than 10:30 at night. Ever. He's such a night owl, he often has a nap around 8:00!!

In the last few days (he's just turned 7 months) he has started going to sleep a bit earlier, ie: asleep by 10:30 last night, he was asleep at 9:30 tonight but he might still actually wake - this might just be his nap. I'd like to start getting him down a bit earlier, but he is fairly resistant to any idea of bedtime but his own.

Wow thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! Will give it a go, he is trying to be like his Dad I think ( a DJ heheh) wanting to stay up late!

Will get my butt back into the baby buddies, have just been soooooooo busy!

~Belinda~ Guest

I try to put our DD to bed at 7pm but it doesn't always work that way, sometimes she'll start getting tired at 6ish! Her bottle is at 3pm and then we'll bath her around 5pm and she'll be so tired..normally she'll wake in her cot around 7pm for a feed anyway so I feed her with the night light on in there and put her straight back down. She tends to sleep until 7am anyway, just wakes a couple of times through night but trying a new settling technique and she seems to be settling herself! But it's been HARD WORK this last week...

I agree with Barb though, I guess every family is different and it depends on different factors.

My bub thought that 9.30-10pm was a good bedtime but I like to get to bed a bit earlier. He loves routine so I started to move back his bath/bedtime routine gradually, looking for those tired signs. Then I put him in his cot awake. I was lucky he loves his mobile and will lie there and watch it. Sometimes he goes straight to sleep other times he could be awake for an hour but he is quite happy with his own company. If he wants to have a long sleep after 5pm I usually only leave him for 40 mins (depending on how much I want to eat my dinner!)

I agree with Barb that the time your bub goes to bed varies according to your family curcumstances but having a set bedtime helps as they get older and when they start school.