Thread: being sick while breast feeding

Default being sick while breast feeding

i have woken up with the 'runs' and am starting to feel nauseous as well. is it safe to breastfeed my DD while i have these symptoms? she won;t take a bottle of anything so booby is her main source of food, apart from some solids.

Hollo - Hugs to you I hope your feeling better soon. As for bfing, keep it up as often as possible as you`ll find that your milk supply will decrease while you have gastro so keep offering as many bf`s as possible, and try to keep your own fluids up, soups, water, gastrolyte.

I had gastro a number of times while breastfeeding Matthew and I was also pregnant with Adrian at the time so I know how hard it is and my milk depleted but once I recovered my milk did too but the best advice is keep offering your bf`s.

I totally agree with Deeanne. Actually, I have also had gastro more than once while bfing and also pg. In fact, bfing is the best thing you can do for your child while ill. It will give them immunity to the bug, and if they do get gastro, often breast milk is the only fluids they can tolerate, so by bfing you are preventing dehydration.

Just like Dee said, keep up your fluids. It doesn't matter so much if you can't keep solids down for a while, but fluids are very important. Even if you have to suck on ice and have a few sips at a time, do what you can.

When you are feeling ill you might prefer to feed in the side lying position.

I really hope you feel better soon. It's awful isn't it!

Yep - I've had gastro while breastfeeding and pregnant at the same time, and it sucked. I got really dehydrated and had to go to hossy, so make sure you keep up your fluids!!!!
    Feed as often as bubs wants it as there is a chance they can get sick too from the bugs floating around, and your milk is the best thing for them.

Keep a bucket handy during feeding time in case you need to spew

A friend of mine had the same problem a few months back. At one stage she was sitting on the loo for hours & had her DH bring the bub to her in there for her feed. Not a nice experience for either of them at all.

I hope you feel better soon :hugs: