Thread: belly button issue

Default belly button issue

Hi

Luxxe is nearly 4 weeks old and her umbilical cord scab still hasn't fallen off and is a bit weepy/pussy/bloody.

The midwife reckons that it might be becuase they tried to put an IV line into her belly button and that the wound from that still might be healing and to go see a Dr

went to see a paediatrician and he gaveme some antibiotic cream to put on under the scab.

it's still pretty gross and weepy and I'm just wanting it to come off because then the stump thingy underneath should dry out and heal

going back to the Dr tonight

Does anyone else have any similar experience or know about the physiology of the belly button?!!?

thanks!

Laura

Maggie's belly button was very weepy for quite awhile. The MCHN said it was a granuloma of the cord stump and that a doctor would need to cauterise it. I took her to the doctor and she advised to use Betadine drops at every nappy change for about a week. This actually cleared it up and we did not need to do the cauterisation.

Hope that helps.

Indah's fell off at day 2 in Hosp, one Midwife made me panic, when she asked what had happened & took Indah outta the room, but I followed saying it had come off in a nappy change & I showed another nurse whom said it was actually fine... This Midwife went to go get it checked, making me panic...
    But I was then told to drip some salty water in it to dry it out, which I guess is similar to the betadine drops?!

Hope it's all sorted soon!!!

Matilda's took around 4-5 weeks to come off & had a granuloma as well. I used betadine as well to wipe the stump a few times a day and like Astrid it cleared it up & nothing more was needed. HTH!

kristy Guest

You can get special methylated spirit from the chemist that will dry it up. Jakes was a bit pussy and yuk and within a day of putting this on it dried up and fell off.

Angus had a granuloma and for weeks I put up with it. I tried the metho thing but it didn't work in our case.
    I had the Dr put the silver nitrate on it when he had his needles at 8 weeks and it was dried up in a matter of days. Though it did look foul as it went black. Now his belly button is bewtiful!

HI everyone!

Thanks for your replies!

Luxxe's belly button scab is still attached, but has dries out heaps and it now only attached by a few threads.

Doc said to keep putting the antibiotic cream.

it's not looking pussy or bloody anymore.

but the part under the scab is still moist.

is that normal?

what does the stump look like once the scab comes off?

does it look like normal skin and belly button straight away or does the skin have to dry out and heal after the scab?

going to the child health nurse this arvo and will get it checked again...

anyway - thanks again for your replies!!

xxx
    L

brodes80 Guest

On the topic of bellybuttons, my 14 mth old son's keeps getting red & raw looking. He didn't have any probs with it at birth, it's just a recent thing. Has anyone else had this prob? Maybe the betadine/salty water would work as well?

HI!

Luxxe's belly button scab is nearly fallen off.

It's dried up and its hanging on my a few gammy threads.

The clinic nurse said it's looking fine and should be off within a week.

SHe said itdidn't look like a granuloma, but if in a week it's still there I will go back to the Paeditrician.

Thanks to everyone for their help and replies!!

I'll let you know when it's off!

xxx
    L

Laura thats good news

brodes I'm sorry I don't really know...maybe phone your ECHN and ask them :-k but I suppose BEtadine couldn't hurt?

Matilda did have a granuloma but the Dr's decided to leave it for a little while & it eventually went away...