Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best advice / Worst Advice

Best - do what you feel is right for you and your baby.

Worst - My MIL tried telling me to put ice cream on bubs dummy when she was only 4 weeks old cos she was unsettled...uh how about no!!

Worst - don't feed them so often (DS #1 would feed about every 2 hours during the day then sleep thru the night from 6 weeks, why would I change that?, DS #2 went through his 6 week growth spurt and MIL said I was "mad for feeding him so often - it's insane").

Best - hard to pick one but probably when DS #1 was nearly due my friend told me to join the ABA (in fact she gave me a gift subscription) and NOT to give up bfing if I had problems. I had problems (Jack had a tongue-tie) and her advice (and gift ABA subscription) got me through.

Stupid - most of the advice!!

Best - Babies are all different, they don't read manuals so do what's best for you & your baby.

Worst - Surely you're going to wean her soon? She doesn't need to be breastfed now that she's over 6 months.

Best: Follow your instincts, you're her mother you know best.

Worst: I couldn't breastfeed so you won't be able to either (from a few different people including my mother, I showed them though )

Best: Do what you think is best for Logan and don't compromise your beliefs because some one tells you to.

Worst: "I saw on a breast feeding program that formula is more nourishing than breast milk, so why haven't you weaned him yet? I mean there is no point in you breast feeding.." from a girl in my young mothers group when Logan was 11months old and on the boob.
    Last edited by Melly01; March 6th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.

I got a lot of bad advice!....

Worst : Let her cry otherwise she will have you wrapped around her finger (given at two weeks old). Dont cuddle her to much or you will spoil her !. Stick to a routine!!!!!!
    Best Advise : Just go with the flow - enjoy her and dont worry about routine . Wish I got this one earlier :-(

lotusmamma Guest

Best: If you get just one thing done each day with a newborn then you are doing well.

Worst: You mustn't pick your baby up, it's habit forming.

i look forward to revisiting this thread in 3 or 4 months time.
    Already - i take the best advice you all have given - Do what is best for you and baby. Nothing wrong with cuddles, and worry about the housework later.
    Thanks so much ladies just reading this, i feel better about being able to cope, and more assured that i can trust my own instincts.

Worst - "Your baby is crying and unsettled because you are cuddling him too much - put him in the crib and leave him" - this from a midwife the day after I gave birth to my DS! Along the same lines is "Don't rock/cuddle your baby to sleep, or he will get used to it and be expecting it when he is 5" This is a crock! Don't let anyone tell you this!

Best - When someone gives you advice you don't like, just smile and nod then do it your way!

Best - trust you, and it's OK to ask for help

Worst - From MIL at 6weeks "You're undernourishing her. She should be on formula and starting solids" - uhhuh that's why she's not allowed to have food at your house.....

worst a baby will eat when it is hungry they wont astarve them selves (yer right that aint always the case)

best trust your self mum knows best

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    Best - trust you, and it's OK to ask for help

Worst - From MIL at 6weeks "You're undernourishing her. She should be on formula and starting solids" - uhhuh that's why she's not allowed to have food at your house.....
    6 weeks - are you serious!

best... when listening to advice "smile an nodd" then go home and take out the good bits that suit you n bubs

worst ... Don't pick her up all the time, ohh you shouldnt be co sleeping, your going to spoil her! Well - pfft to those ppl i say, my child i can spoil if i want :P

And the worst advice came from a friend that didn't even have kids!

The best advice I got was from my MCHN, who told me to trust myself and go with what i thoguht was best. Its fine to listen to what people have to say but only take on board what makes sense to you.

The worst advice I got was 'leaving him cry is really good as this will tire him out and make him sleep longer?' and this from a nurse!

Quote Originally Posted by mum2bee View Post
    6 weeks - are you serious!
    Yes and they wonder why I don't ask for any more of their wisdom lol.

NewmumLou Guest

hmmm tricky one!
    BEST ADVICE: Coles online!
    WORST ADVICE: Dont rock your baby they get use to it..... JOSH DIDNT!

BEST ADVICE- Go with your instincts (thanks mum, great advice! xoxo)

WORST ADVICE- Wake her every four hours for a feed, she cant go the whole night without one! (Damn midwife just wanted to drive me insane I'm sure... I took mums advice with this one & DD has always been a healthy little porker!)

Worst advice - "it's wind"
    ho hum - so let me shake your baby up and down, slap it in the back - there is gotta be some wind in there somewhere - hang on i think i've got it, oops nope no burp yet ok now i gotta start pacing the hallway that works for all babies.... (step away from my baby!)

Best advice - some random lady at the dentist said "when they wave their arms about they are tired"
    I didnt get it at first because I thought Jemima always waved her arms about but there IS a difference and when I see it and help her to sleep she doesnt cry or get overtired.

(other best advice I give is listen to YOUR baby, who cares what other babies are doing)
    (I also reckon you can over do it sometimes so i like to think what would i like if I was her??? I certainly wouldnt want to be jiggled like a liptons t-bag when I'm trying to go to sleep)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast