Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Baby Shower gift??

Default Best Baby Shower gift??

Hi Girls,

I have a girlfriends baby shower in 2 weeks time, and I want to get her something that is really handy, but something that they probably wouldn't have purchased themselves.
    What was the best gift you received when you had bub/had a baby shower?

Thanks,
    Alloy

I got all the girls to put in and give me a gift voucher for my MCN's - they have been awesome and it was the best present.

I think a belly casting kit would be a great gift.

The best baby shower pressie that I got was a Tomy night light lullaby projector. It plays a lullaby (like jewellery box music) for 5 or 10 mins and projects a light show onto the roof. I wouldnt have thought of it myself but it is so awesome for a sleep routine and we still use it as 14 months.

Hmmmm..... my baby shower is tomorrow so some thing I reckon no one will get, but I would LOVE is:

ABA membership. I would LOVE that. Though it is pretty personal, and if someone had had trouble with bfing before, or isn't keen to bf, it could seem really pushy.

MCN, or a voucher or some cash to go towards them. Again, pretty personal, you'd have to know if they wanted to go cloth or not.

A voucher for some sexy underwear. Yes i know that seems really silly but I would just love to buy ONE nice bra set (like the hotmilk ones) to make myself feel nice (instead of opening my drawer and thinking "hmm.... should i wear the white, cream or beige bra today ... decisions decisions" but I just can't justify spending that much money on myself. If someone else gave me a voucher though I'd probably burst into tears and hug them to death lol!

Or you could go really practical ans think about the things you know they'll need to buy regularly and get a few. Like baby bath/oil, nappy rash cream, nappy wipes etc. or find out what washing powder they are going to use and buy some for them. I know I don't have any of thast stuff yet and to get some from someone who is a mum and can say "this stuff actually works" would be great as I am lost at all the different creams and wipes and powders etc. and not really sure what works!!!

A great idea would be to ask though... no one has asked whether there is anything particular that we want/need, and I don't want to seem like I am expecting anything so I won't just go and tell people what I want, which makes me really scared as to what they have bought.... I just hope I don't get 6 million cute toys and nothing practical lol.

I just hope I don't get 6 million cute toys and nothing practical lol.
    That's all I got!
    I love the underwear voucher idea - especially if they're a first time mum, it would be wonderful to go and splurge on something like that after the birth.

I like the frames you can get with the hand and foot prints in them (once bub is born)
    Sounds weird...but baby coathangers.....i never had enuf of them...

Mind you i never had a baby shower either cos i HATE excepting gifts off people!

The underwear voucher is a great idea - I would have loved that!

I didn't have a a baby shower but when DD was born a good friend gave me a baby thermometer, baby nail clippers and a little comb/brush set all wrapped up in a little basket lined with cloth nappies. So practical and handy as I hadn't bought those things yet! She also threw in some hand cream as well for me. I'd suggest something small for the mum to be as well!

i got a voucher to get professional photos of my belly!!!
    best thing i ever had done!!!

my best baby shower gift was nappies. when I was a sposie user they were great. ask the mum to be if she has ever thought about using cloth nappies and if she has or is open to the idea then get MCNs but if she wants to use sposies and knows the sex then get some in infant or crawler size. I got so many baby soaps and things that i have never bought baby soap nd DD#1 is over 2 now and we still have tonnes of it.

My best gift was a pack of the old style terry nappies. I put them on the change table, they were great for burping bubs when she was small and now I put them over her lap when she's in the high chair so food doesn't get all over her pants. I've got coloured ones but you can get packs of white ones too.

Another great gift is a little pack of face washers. You can get a 12 pack at Big W and KMart (baby section) - not facewashers like we would use, they are really thin. I have a bunch that I use to clean DD's bottom and a different set that I keep in the high chair to wipe her down after a meal. DH used to keep some in his pocket when he took her out walking in the carrier 'because she liked to have a clean face'!

the underwear voucher is an excellent idea! I would have loved something like that

also, maybe a voucher for a photographer to get a family photo done once bubs is born?

wow - some good ideas!! I would have liked a few of them!

I guess I was really happy with all the consumable items - wipes, motions etc. because I still have some!! I also got a range so I could try lots of types.

I didn't really mind because it's what people like themselves they will get for you so you appreciate it.

I agree though about soft toys - not too many of them needed!

i got my girlfriend a voucher for a pedicure at this luxurious day spa near us......... I know its a baby shower, which means 'one must bring gifts for baby' but she didnt know what she was having (boy/girl) and i would rather get her something approrpiate when bubs makes its entrance......not something i think 'it' might need.

The gift I found most useful was a 'goodies basket' by one of my friends. She said someone gave something similar to her.

SHe added a few items she found to be useful from her own experience.

Basket had: bepanthen, infant's friend, brauers sample size remedies, organic baby moisturiser and baby massage oil, lanosil nipple cream (FANTASTIC stuff!!), nipple shields, wipes, face wipes, portable sanitiser cream, lip balm, 2 scrunchies, some fizzing bath bombs, packet of tim tams and even a pack of maternity pads.

Three weeks after my baby was born, I could have kissed this friend! It was awesome.

neuri

I really appreciated the Lamaze books & toys - because I didn't really have anything like this (it wasn't something that I had thought to buy). I think some board/cloth books make a great gift.

Terry nappies are also great - I only used them as nappies when he was quite little (I use MCNs now) - but I still use them to catch breastmilk when I'm feeding, wipe up spew, etc.

I got waaaaaaaaaaay too many soft toys (teddy bears etc) & more sposie nappies than I needed (I ended up taking some back to Coles to swap them for a larger size). As others have said, I am still using the lotion & wash that I was given & DS is 6 months old.

A Vicks Vaposteam (I think that's what they are called) they are brilliant and so good to have on hand when bub's get's their first cold. A digital thermometer, a snot sucker, a teething dummy thingo, just the kinds of things that you wouldn't think of unless you had been a mum already and had to run out to the chemist to get such things when your little one came down ill. My fave present though was my tommetippy nappy dispoal bin.

I aways make up a basket with lots of bits n pieces that are sometimes overlooked.

* nail clippers
    * dummy chain thing
    * face washers
    * bibs
    * muslin wrap
    * baby on board sign for the car
    * lanolin cream (if BF) or formula divider container (if FF)
    * travel wipes
    * travel sized aquim gel
    * small shower gel & lotion for mum for the hospital

If I end up buying clothes I get a size 00 or bigger because everyone buys the teeny tiny cute clothes & most of the time you don't get to use all of them cos there's too many! I also don't go for the powder blue / baby pink, I try to get something a bit different - navy blues, reds, purples....

I do however really like the idea of a voucher for some nice underwear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast