Thread: Best car seat position

Default Best car seat position

I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the best/safest position for a forward facing car seat? Do you think in the middle or on the passenger side?

There are always conflicting opinions on this.... Im pretty sure these days 'they' say that the middle seat in the back is the safest, in case of side impact collisions. I have two littlies in seats so they have to go on either side in the back otherwise they wouldnt fit properly.

It may also depend a bit on what car you drive so the best and safest thing to do would be to go to one of those car seat installation places where they can fit it properly for you!

It is great for peace of mind and I think it is free too!!

I have always had our 2 seat installed by a RACV fitting station and they have said a rear facing or forward facing (depends on the circumstance....as you know i have both in our car) they have ALWAYS said passenger side and if that side is taken by a seat then the next best one is drivers side. The middle is the least safest spot.

Unfortunatley we will soon enough have a seat in all 3 places, but ill make sure our newborn is behind the passenger seat.
    Last edited by visitor1; July 16th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.

I think a lot of it depends on the car. When I looked up for our car (Holden), it was advised that the safest spot for our model was in middle. There was one bolt already installed in the middle, with the sides spots we had to put the bolts in the holes provided.

Astrid - where did you look that up? Through the car manufacturers website?

Smile

The safest place is behind the driver, if that's taken then the middle, passenger side only if other spots are taken. I run a my own daycare service and information is updated regularly from the government, with all new regulations. You should also have your child bolt checked yearly by a professional fitter, not your mechanic. I use wiltshires in Adelaide but I know they're are a few other fitting places around.
    Hope this helps,
    Snoopea
    Last edited by Snoopea; July 16th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

I found a child saftey brochure on the Holden site a while ago. I also remember when we had the Chrysler that the drivers handbook also mentioned where to position the car seat.

Great thread - obviously we all have different ideas because I've always heard or read that middle is safest, followed by passenger then driver! So now I am confused!! I def thought passenger was safer than driver because you should get them out of the car on the side that is on the curb. I also read the ambulance officers say middle is best because less chance of side impact. Ahhh any other ideas??

I had a seat fitted by the Australian Red Cross a few weeks ago, rear facing as my son is not yet at the 8 or 10kg mark and they said middle is the safest...

I always thought that middle was safest too because of avoiding side impact, then passenger side so that you aren't having to take them out of the car on the traffic side when parking.... With 2 seats we will have to have one on each side but I'm off to google!

Wow, so much conflicting info! Ambulance dude told me middle, but passenger side if it's a capsule due to taking it in and out mainly. Then when you have 2 seats have the older child on drivers side and baby on passenger side.

just found this on the vicroads website:

Where is the safest place/seating position for a child to travel?

The back seat is safer than the front seat.
    The middle position is safest. However do not use a lap belt if a lap sash belt is available.

For myself personally I always have the youngest child in the middle.. Although no child uses the lap belt we have in the very back unless neccesary ie we have a car full.. and even then I get the biggest child to sit there.. I have actually sat in the very back before so my kids didn't have to use that lap belt