Thread: best parenting book...

Question best parenting book...

for toddlers!!!

were having bedtime issues with DD aged 2.4, i have toddler tactics but was wanting something else to read, have thought about getting the science of parenting but worried my issues wont be covered.

any suggestions???

Science of Parenting is pretty good because it doesn't offer pat solutions but understanding: even so, I'd suggest maybe thinking why these are occuring and try to deal with it that way. Has bedtime always been a struggle? What's the struggle? Has it changed because of the new baby? Is it just the baby or is it the whole routine or more daddy now?

I quite enjoyed Toddler Taming by Dr Christopher Green. It gave me different strategies and more understanding on what my DS was going through and how to handle him. Check ebay or second hand shops before you pay full price

I just read a really good one by Dr Paul Warren (cant remember the name! )
    I dont think its in print anymore though... (I got it at a garage sale)
    it was so good I just found another of his books on ebay!

gee Im not much help am I?!

I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Pantley's "no Cry" books. She has one dedicated to baby sleeping, another for Toddler & Pre-schooler sleeping, and also a No-Cry Discipline book. My library has copies of them all, that might be a good place to start? In the toddler book she covers lots of different scenarios,and I just like her non-judgemental, not overly prescriptive (imho) ideas.

Sorry Jols, Toddler Tactics is my fave. The only others I like are articles in the ABA mags. Don't recall anything in the last one about bed times though, but I'm sure it would've been covered at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ubba82 View Post
    I quite enjoyed Toddler Taming by Dr Christopher Green. It gave me different strategies and more understanding on what my DS was going through and how to handle him. Check ebay or second hand shops before you pay full price
    If you get this book, make sure its a more recent edition - apparently he had a change of heart regards some of the more 'hard line' advice in the original edition. Don't know if the advice to tie a rope to the bedroom door handle to prevent the child leaving the room at night is one of the revisions, but that's as far as got with the library copy before I stopped looking at it.

Actually, there was an article in the lastest ABA mag that I loved called 'Guiding Children's Behaviour'. If you're interested I can send it to you? I didn't think of it straight away because I've been using the advice (heavily) for dealing with tantrums and emotions. But it might be helpful to you too.