Thread: Best time of year for child's birth/birthday

Default Best time of year for child's birth/birthday

Hi all

Just having a discussion with my DP about what time of year it is best to have our next baby in. Lucy was born in March, my bday is in Feb and DP's is in June.

We are thinking of staying right away from Dec/Jan (so as not to coincide with Xmas and holidays, including ob holidays) and also May/June, since every other person in our families seems to be born in those two months.

I realise there are issues with a baby in both summer and winter, so I'm not really bothered about when it's born for the baby stage, this is more about later on, things like birthday parties, starting school, etc.

What time of the year or month did you think worked best for the birth of children in your family? Any particular reason?

(Btw: I realise it is a complete luxury to discuss 'when' you would like your child to be born, since there are so many out there who just long to have a baby and wouldn't be postulating about small matters like this... But out of interest, if you could choose, when would it be?)

i love September babies.....we didnt aim for Sept babies (#1 and #3), it just happened that way . The days are starting to warm up, but not too much, and the bitterness of winter is gone. Around xmas time bubs is 3 months old - your a bit used to them by then, and vice versa......i also think about getting up in the night to b/feed. I remember a girlfriend telling me (she had a June baby) her and bubs were wrapped under the doona whilst she fed him a bottle at just a few weeks old. It gets bitter at night, i would hate to do night feeds during winter.....but thats just me....

I think i would agree mbear. My first baby was right before Christmas and whilst it was lovely to have an early Christmas present it was hot, I was fat for summer and it was hard to go walking during the day because of the weather.
    This time I am due in August so I am expecting to be walking a lot more during the day and it won't be so hot. I will also kind of know what I am doing by Christmas when all the rellies come.
    But in saying that there is never an ideal time to have a baby because all of the above stuff doesn't really matter when you have that beautiful baby in your arms
    Good luck for TTC!

Thinking about it now, I would say july through november.
    For me, its a school thing, and to do with how old my children will be when they start (i.e. 5 not 4.5)

However, before I had Milo I thought an April baby would be good.
    But having had an Novemeber bub, I really like having a winter pregnancy, so would try for the latter part of the year.

Plus rayray, you have all those winter maternity clothes! Me, I don't have ANY so would have to hunt around like a mynah bird amongst my friends' wardrobes for some hand-me-downs... During my pg I got away with a lot of normal clothes during summer that were just the right style for pg and a bigger size.

I would be tempted to avoid December/early Jan for the Christmas reason alone, however IF our TTC goes ahead this year, and we fall pg straight away, then that is when I will be due... I dont think its enough of a reason to put TTC off. For us now its more important to try not to let the age gap between #1 and #2 get too big!
    I cant think of any other months I would avoid... we have a good spread of birthdays throughout the year in our families, so it doesnt bother me.
    Ideally I would also like to avoid the heat of summer with being heavily pg, but again, I dont think I will have the luxury to choose that next time around.

My first DS was born in Feb, my second in Sept. I prefer Feb as a time of the year to have a baby - warm weather so not cold feeding at night, don't need many small clothes as they mostly just need a singlet, doesn't have to wait a year to start school etc. But being heavily pg in summer was really bad. So from a pg POV the Sept baby was easier.

Olivia was a Feb baby......and born in Darwin so the whole time I was pg and BF it was hot humid and nasty!

Charlie was a July baby and I nearly forze my nipples off BF'ing him in a chilly Adelaide winter.....

My unplanned little ooopsie Lexie was a NYE conception, born in Sept, and it is PERFECT for BF'ing, she has been old enough to swim in the pool with us this summer, and her b'day is not TOO close to Christmas.

So my vote would be Sept.........

I have 2 babies born closeish to xmas. DS in october and DD 2 weeks before xmas. So i would love to have a bub born in april-july sometime around then.

I have Madison born on the 4th of november, which is good as it was nice and warm and not so close to Christmas, Charlotte was born on the 20th july, middle of winter, but we just had the heater on during the night, and it was fine, next bubs will be born around march time, as i will have the childrens birthdays evenly split through the year.

Obviously February babies are wonderful - I say this because for me, that's winter and you can eat as much as you want at Christmas without people saying how fat you'll get. It's also in the middle of the school year (Liebling is hanging out waiting for the half term, so always has his/her birthday off school I reckon) and it's nice and warm when you're sick of dressing up baby! You can also get all the birthday presents in the sales after Christmas, which means you get more presents for your money.

I'd love to have an October/November baby too; early in the school year (ours starts in September), not too close to Christmas, the nights are drawing in so when the baby gets active it's the summertime and you can just play outside in the garden.

Well, DH and DD are two days after Christmas, and DH said it sucked - combined presents! Agh.
    My birthday is April, and I was younger than most at school, but that was ok.

I think Sept or October would be best but I am a teacher and tend to think of it in age of starting school terms! My 1st daughter is 3rd Nov. which i thought was good as its not too close to Christmas and good for starting school but its not according to her! She thinks its far too close to Christmas (bear in mind her poor sister who is Dec 17th!) and wishes her birthday was in June (shes ungrateful LOL) Poor DD#2 was born 8 days before Christmas in Darwin so it was hot and very humid and she never got to wear anything but a singlet until we moved back to Sydney in March the following year.
    I must say I loved having a winter baby but the school thing is a pain as I don't know whether to send him young or late (he's 20th May).
    DH is Sept 20th and it seems to the best time to me. Mine is mid january and its too close to Christmas and even though the sales are on half the time there's no money left after Christmas to buy me a present

Both of mine are June babies - 29 and 30th! I love having winter babies, despite the cold nights bfing. You can wrap up your little ones and they are oh so cosy. But that's about me, not about birthdays.

I agree with rayray that in the later part of the year is good for schooling. Being born in June, my kids miss the April 30 cut off so they have no choice apart from going to school when they are 5.5years old and that works out well because they are neither the oldest nor the youngest in the class.

From DD's point of view, she loves having a June birthday cause its 6 months from Christmas so she's getting pressies evenly spaced.

Hopefully our next will be a Nov/Dec baby but that still works out well as not being the youngest in the class.