Thread: Big Bubbas

Default Big Bubbas

I have posted here before about DS putting on lots of weight & everyone assured me it was fine - he is BF & loves his food. But today I had him weighed & he is 5.7kg - at 5.5 weeks!! The 000 clothes are starting to get tight (we are using BBH nappies). I'm a bit concerned about just how big he's going to get . He only started out at 3.7kg, lost 300g in the first week, then has packed on over 2 kg in the past 5 weeks!! He's going to be in 00 clothes before he's 2 months old! And today I realised that he's too heavy for his bassinette now (weight maximum of 5.9kg - which is what he weighs with a nappy on!) - so he's going to have to sleep in his own room, rather than in with us .

I'm looking for some reassuring stories from other mums with big bubbas.

he sounds just fine to me!!!! his weight gain will slow down soon, i certainly wouldnt worry
    sounds like you make full cream milk!!

He sounds fine to me too.
    DS was over 5 kilos at 5 weeks too, and was in 000 at birth and 00 by 8 weeks. He only just scraped in at 10kg by 12months though, so they do slow down!
    I am sure his weight gains will slow down soon and are following their natural curve

I had to go and get my red book to see what weight my DS was at about 5.5weeks. My DS at 6 weeks was 5.5kg, so very similar to your bub... My DS is fully breastfed as well, what can I say - he loves to eat... LOL. He is now going on 16 weeks (4 months) and he weighs approx. 7.5kg - so he is a big bubba and everyone keeps telling me so (which I am a bit over)... We are just doing a really really really good job Keep up the good work!!!

I went and got my book too, as I know my little one was a big baby, as my MIL kept telling me

he was 3840grm @ birth dropped down to 3650grm on discharge day 5
    4340grm @ 3 weeks
    5020grm @ 5 weeks
    5580grms @ 7 weeks,
    6000grms @ 9 weeks
    6480grms @ 11 weeks
    7420grms @ 4mths,
    8100grms @ 5 mths,
    8540grms @ 6 mths,
    8720grms @ 7mths,
    9740grms @ 9 mths,
    10.2kg @ 10mths, then we started to drop off he actually went odwn next mth
    10.8kg @ 1 yr and
    11.1kg @ 14 mths he has slimmed down so much since he started walking that shorst which were a little tight @ 9mths no fit him beautifully now
    he is about 12kg now @ 16mths

seriously dont be concerned is his height similiar to his weight percentile, also most b/f babies seem bigger (jack was formula fed but he is a exception )

I can not remember what DS weighed at that aged, but he too stacked it on but have always been assured he's not over weight....so dont stress. At 7months Charlie was 9kg & now at almost 10months he's 10.3kg so he has not put on a heap in the past few months. I would say due to crawling, but he is also a whopping 78cm long!!!
    I get the "oh how old?" & "oh Charlie, you just keep growing"....."gee he's a big boy isn't he". It used to get to me but all babies are different so now I just let it go.

I've got a big boy too! He was last weighed at 10 weeks and was 6.45kg

He is also breastfed. His height is in proportion to his weight too.

DD was the total opposite, very lean and petite and took forever to gain weight.

Bit over people looking stunned when I tell them he's only 11 weeks old (he was born with a full head of curly dark hair, so that doesn't help either!) It's hard not to stress, but I've been assured his weight gain will slow down. His dad is a big bloke so can't expect he'll be any different at this point I don't imagine!

i cant remember exactly what she weighed at that age, but she was born 3.824 kilos and was putting on over 300grams a week... not sure if that helps!!

oh he is not big!!

maddy was 5.1kg born!! @ 5 weeks she was 6.4kg!

maddys size 000 clothes were snug when she was born and was in 00 quite early.. now at 14mnths she is 12gks!! so she really didnt get way to big for he age!

Thanks everybody! I am reassured that this will slow down at some stage! We decided to bite the bullet & start putting him in 00 clothes - so much easier than trying to stretch the 000 over his nappy!

my ds was 3520grams at birth
    he dropped 390 grams
    his discharge weight was 3910 grams
    and he was 51 cm
    at 2 weeks he was 4180 grams and 55.5 cm
    at 6 weeks he was 60 cms and 6000grams
    at 6 months he was 75 cm and weighed in at 9.57kgs.

he is now no bigger then any other child his age.
    I wouldnt worry, my ds loved the boob and just flurished on it.

It is re-assuring to read about eveyones big babies and to know that it is normal. My bubba girl was born 3410gms and was discharged at 2980gms (we had major breastfeeding probs in hospital and beyond). She hs certainly made up for lost time though as now she is 17 weeks old and weights 7700gms and is just under 70cm long. I get a lot of comments about how big she is but she only has her 5 feeds of 150-200ml of formula per day.

By about 3mths of age some babies do tend to slow down in their weight gain and others just keep moving along at a cracking pace. There really is no such thing as an overweight baby as you can't force them to feed if they don't want to - some babies are just more adept at making the most of what they take in. They all tend to even out though by the time they are into toddlerhood and you can't pick who were the big babies or the small babies as after a while they start to grow according to their genetic makeup.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, as long as he's happy and healthy he should be fine.

Mirani's put on weight as well, and is already wearing 000 and 00 summer jumpsuits.

but regarding clothes, different brands have different sizings.

Arhcie was in OO at 2 onths as well, dont panic, he sounds like a healthy bubby boy!