Thread: A big huge WHY?

Question A big huge WHY?

Hi all,

I am just wondering if any one elses baby who is nearly 8 mths old stands up in the cot at night about 1am and screams the house down for her mum. She never use to do this at all and would sleep fine until last night? What is this all about. I would then go into her room and settle her and she would fall asleep on me straight away, it is as if she just wants cuddles all the time.

In the end i gave in and put her in our bed and she slept like a baby all night. I missed out on an hours sleep.

Does any one have any idea on what this could be?????

You don't think she could be having bad dreams or being startled awake by an outside noise and it is frightening her? That's about all I can think of, sorry.

Hey Jen, sorry you had a bad night. Obviously I have no idea why but I have heard that bubs do go through a stage when all they want is mum and become very clingy. No idea when this happens, but it could be that
    Anyway hope she behaves for you today. Tayneesha, be good to your mother!

She is going through that clingly stage i think? Sooky and wanting her mum all the time, it is just crazy, she was never like this at all.

This morning she was fine and now after breaky she is sooky and whingy crawling looking for me all the time and following me. It must be a stge i think. It is really cute though i must say She has finally sat at the back door standing up banging on the glass - at least it has made her happy.

It may be her teeth as well, she has got her bottom two but no others yet!

Sherie- i wouldn't think she has been startled at all, bad dream not sure maybe??? Poor little thing if it is that would be scary. Thabks for the advise anyway.

oh well i will see how i go tonight and keep you posted.

jen

If she is starting to be like that through the day too, it would more than likely just be a developmental stage she is going through and it usually peaks at around the 12 months mark I think, but every baby will be different with it.
    Last edited by Trillian; November 17th, 2006 at 08:13 AM.

Geeze,

It is full on when she is like this. She is asleep now I do love her wanting her mum all the time but really it can get a bit over the top when you want to get things done. God what is she going to be like in perth on our holiday at Christmas :eek: ! Oh well i am sure i will cope. Thankgod she will be past that stage when number two arrives, I hope but then she will be going onto the next stage i suppose.

Thanks to you all anyway

jen

Jesse's my first so im not too familiar with the bit older bubs, but could there be another tooth coming through perhaps? I know my sister mensioned that my niece was acting really out of character one day, very clingy etc and waking up at weird hours, and a day or two later she noticed a new tooth coming through.
    I hope that its just something like that and she goes back into her normal routine soon

Yep, I was going to say the clingy stage too.
    Co sleep!

I know alot of people love the co-sleeping, personally i dont think its a good habbit to introduce if you can help it, as ive been told by 3 friends that they started co-sleeping with their babies and one that is 5 months wont sleep anywhere but in their bed and the other 2 wouldnt sleep in their own bed until they were 9 years old. It maybe just those cases but at that age (9 years) i dont think either you or the child would get a very good amount of sleep (unless you have a humungous king size bed )

I have put her to bed already and she seems to be ok at this stage. I have also put a sarong in her cot to smell like me as well. I do have to say though we do have a kingsize bed so if we co-sleep occassionally if it gets really bad we will. Only on the rare occassion though. I think though it is teething and she is feeling really sorry for herself?

Anyway thanks for your thoughts!

Jen

Yep we just went through a stage of lots of co-sleeping coz he'd wake up absolutely screaming, I'd pick him up and he'd snuggle into my shoulder and go straight back to sleep. Very clingy. As it happens, he's just had 3 more teeth break through, and has now slept for aaaages for 2 nights running.. back in his cot!

I agree.. definitely a stage, either developmental, or teething. Poor little things have to deal with so much, they just need their mums (or dads... altho DH is never enuf these days hehe).

Yeah - my nephew & neice were hard to get out of the co-sleeping habit (up to about age 7?) .. but I think sometimes its the parents who can't wean themselves! hehe.. my bro readily admitted that to me. I certainly don't see the harm in those early years tho, it's certainly a comfort to bub, and you can't deny the cuddles are nice

It sounds like she is going through that seperation anxiety stage, Xander started at 9mth. The best advice is to go with it. Let them know where you are at all times, lots of cuddles. Xander used to drive me nuts as he would want to be on my lap then on the floor, then on my lap then on the floor but if you just relax and go with it they get over it much sooner. We coslept with Xander and had no probs getting him in his own bed. We always put him down in his own bed and brought him in to us if he woke during the night.