Thread: Bleeding nappy rash....?

Question Bleeding nappy rash....?

Hey Girls

Just need an answer to the following question as I have no idea whether its normal or not...

Yesterday I noticed that Em's bum was a little red so I put some nappy cream on it. It seemed to get a little worse and then this morning I was changing him and noticed that the rash is actually bleeding... to which of course I freaked out. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Does it mean I'm not changing him enough?? I could give him some time to 'air' out if you like but its so cold here and he screams blue murder unless he's dressed - along with the fact that no nappy means time to wee LOL.

So my first question is - Is this normal and the second is how do I deal with it? Is nappy rash cream the best way - any other tips??

Thanks so much!!!!

Aww poor Em. I had the same thing happen with Noah, of course it had never happend before until I was changing his nappy in front of the MCHN. How bad did I feel.

First of all, I don't know if your using bum wipes or not but loose them for the time being. Warm flannels are the way to go. What sort of bum cream are you using? Bepanthen is great as a barrier cream, nappy free time is great too although a buggar with baby boys and the cold. Is there a way you could heat the room while has his nappy off? Are you using cloth or disposible? If cloth remember that they don't take as much liquid away from the skin, use nappy liners too and change more often maybe....

Other than that hun I don't know what to tell you. If it doesn't clear up in a day or 2 I would take him to the GP, it maybe fungal - thrush.

HTH

Hi Lea,
    Aidyn has had a bleeding rash once before (just a month ago actually) I have never seen a rash like it up until then... I continued using the bepanthen, however didnt rub it into the spot where the skin was actually broken. I also would take it really easy when using wipes, and if it doesnt heal itself in a few days then take him to the Dr...
    Hope it is better soon!

Lea - it is a bit of hit and miss with the creams, different ones work better with different rashes. I use Bepanthen most of the time now and Desatin (thick & smelly) for bad rashes. One time I had to alternate between them each nappy change to get rid of the rash.

Thanks so much girls. I was feeling so bad - at least I know that its not too out of the ordinary! I have been using johnson and johnson but I'm pretty sure that I have some Bepanthen so I will try that. I think I'll start using a warm flannel as well.

I'll try and get him some nappy free time - which will be interesting to say the least lol.

We have an appointment with our Dr this arvo anyway so I might mention it then as well.

Thanks again!

Poor bubba! Definitely show the doctor and see what they say. I also recommend Bepanthen it was the only thing that worked when Grace had really bad nappy rash. One other thing I was told was don't use powder on his bum as it can dry out the area when in fact it is better to keep it moist to help it heal.

Lea - Kam had it really bad when he was a baby and Johnson and Johnsons corn starch powder with aloe (available in chemist only usually) worked wonders.

Love

HI

I use natural Paw Paw cream which you can get from the chemist on Kaitlyn. She gets really bad nappy rash when she is teething or has the runs. Poor babies. The only other thing I do is make sure the bath is a little cooler so it does not irrate her rash which is hard when the weather is cold.

Lea, Olivia used to get BAD bum rash, with bleeding.....so I really empathise....

If you can, seeing as you are in Adelaide, maybe see if you can get to the Women and Childrens Hospital pharmacy, (on the ground floor by the Kermode St entrance).......they sell their own nappy rash cream (no script needed)........it is literally the ONLY thing that healed Olvia's poorly bottom......it is Zinc based, with cod-liver oil and Benzoin.......

Mention it to the Dr anyway, becasue if there is any fungal infection, it'll need to be treated with Canestan or similar first.........best of luck!

Thanks so much for everyones help. The Dr recommended zinc and castor oil cream which is fairly basic but won't irritate the open wounds. I will see how it goes over the next day or so - I have samples of a few other creams which I will try if it doesn't work. Otherwise I'll use some of the other suggestions. I've taken to using a warm flannel and no powder upon everyones advice as well. And I might try some nappy free time tomorrow if I can manage it. I can't thank you all enough for the advice though - I can't tell you how bad I felt when I saw his little bum red raw and bleeding!!! Fingers crossed it clears up over the next few days!

Good to here that it wasn't fungal afterall. Fingers crossed that it clears up really soon. You have to remember that his skin is new and not use to all the irritants of the outside world too. Sometimes there urine is just too strong for their skin and burns it.
    Big kisses to Em. Hope his bottom is better real soon.