Thread: Blisters on his bum

Exclamation Blisters on his bum

I just changed Aidens nappy after he did a poo, and i noticed that he had blood in his poo. After a closer inspection, i realised that the blood was actually coming from around his 'hole' and that there where lots of blisters on his bottom, like i guess the radius of a somewhere between a 20 & 50c peice. And some bits where the top layer of skin was gone.
    Now, i have started using a different nappy, and he has never had nappy rash. I am assuming that it possibly is not nappy rash, because it was sorta all in the one spot.
    This is the first time i have seen blood, but, not the first poo in the new nappy, so, i am counting it out.
    Could it be due to teething? I have heard it can make the wee more acidic, but, can it do the same to poo?
    Could it be his food. He had some brocolli and zucchini for the first time last night, and had some again tonight. There was no problems last night (although he was very unsettled, which we put down to teething), but, this was a poo after dinner, so, i am thinking maybe that might of been what caused it.

So, any other suggestions as to what it could be? I feel so bad. His poo doesnt seem to smell much, so, i really am not sure if perhaps even he was sitting in it for abit, which makes me feel like such a bad mummy

was the poo runny Jack got this after having anti-bi's pop some lanolin (breast cream) on it will heal up no dramas

:hugs:

Nope. Not sorta pasty i guess. I used the bepanthan (sorry, prob not spelt correct) but, i still have some lanoish, so i will try that tomorrow, or when he wakes overnight, as he has gone to bed now.

He might have strained a little when he did the poo. The blisters could be caused by acidic wee, as they are a bit more acidic when they are teething.

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

My health nurse (a very popular nurse where I live, she's been a baby health nurse for many yrs) said if you ever use a nappy rash cream make sure it has ZINC in it, as that's what helps heal the skin.

She told me to throw out the Paw Paw Ointment & Bepanthan that friends had recommended that I had & weren't working.

I used all the nappy rash creams my friends recommended, ... And of course none where working as they didn't have ZINC in them.

The moment I used SUDOCREM , it worked wonders. ... Smells nice too like lavender. And i usually can't stand the smell of lavender. But it is a nice clean smell, espesh if they have just done a smelly poo. I only use if I see a bit of rash or a graze or something like that and it heals in no time !!

If it doesn't appear to be helping your little one in 24hrs of using I'd be take him to your Baby Health Nurse or GP asap.

Hope all works out

Teething can certainly give a nasty diaper rash. And yes, zinc is definitely the way to go. It creates a good barrier to protect the skin and let it heal.
    From your discription, it sounds like yeast might be a possibility. Does the rash seem really painful, or not? If it is not really painful, then it might be a yeast infection rash. My girls got those when they teethed too. (not the same as our yeast infections, thank goodness!) Anyways, my doctor recommended that I use the same cream as for a vaginal yeast infection, just apply it to the rash area. Cleared it up in a couple of days!
    Oh, and don't worry about the bad mummy bit - when they're teething, I think the rash happens INSTANTLY! Their poo just seems to peel the skin right off their little bums. Poor kids!

lanoish yeah thats what I meant

I know the other girls are saying zinc based but when Jack got so bad with blisters all the sudocream did was hurt him, he screamed and screamed so I had to wipe it off thats why I tried the lanoish (or how ever you spell it ) not that Jack gets nappy rash except wehn on anti-bis or occasionally when teething

Just wanted to add - fresh air and sunshine are great for diaper rash! If you can leave him outside for a few minutes with nothing on his bum, that's really good for it. (Not too long, of course.)

I'm thinking that sounds like thrush.....hope he's OK Debbie - poor little mite.

thanks guys. It seems to be ok. Still a little red, but, it doesnt seem to bother him.
    I wish i knew what caused it. If it was the teething, or, what i feed him.