Thread: Blocked nose at night

Default Blocked nose at night

My daughter is finding it really hard to breathe at night, due to s stuffy nose and fleghm in the throat. She doesn't sleep without a dummy, so it's a bit of a nightmare. It's 1am now, and I don't know what to do.
    Does anyone have any tips as to how I can help her breathe a littl easier?

Thanks

xx

Hi! My daughter had a cold pretty much from day 1, I've found the saline bottle & aspirator called "Fess little noses" (or something similiar!) to be great...it clears out blocked/snotty noses. For the phlem I've been propping her up in her bassinet or pram to sleep...seen her turn purple from choking on phlem from lying flat on her back too many times for my liking!!

when Maria had her cold we put her cot at a slant and also used fess little nose as well. Also before she went to bed we gave her a shower with lots of steam with a little bit of eucalyptus and lavender oil in the bottom of the shower.

Not sure if you can Fess in Wales but I'm sure you'd be able to get something similar. If not try a vaporiser just don't use the menthol liquid as its not recommended for children under 2 I think, but the steam itself should be fine. We used it many times with Paris for the same reason. Often we'd even put her in our room in the porta cot with the vaporiser on that way if she was having a bad time breathing I could keep an eye on her.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

DASH Guest

Hi,

you don't say how old your bub is, but my DD used to have lots of breathing problems because of breastmilk oversupply. You could hear it rattling around in the back of her throat. Getting that under control sorted most of the problems and tilting her mattress, so that if she chucks it all runs back down rather than blocking her throat, helped. She is in our room, and it is so strange to have her breathing quietly now that I often panic during the night and go check on her!

Deb.

I had the same problem last night..... ARGH!!! Very sleep deprived mummy over in NZ. Liucky daddy flies in tonight at 1am

OK - We find having Jenna uprightish helps heaps. So if you can sleep with her in bed, and have her kinda propped up a bit, this would be a good start. Last time she had a cold Shane and I took tuns sleeping with her. He took the first shift (9-1/2am) and then I fed her and did the second shift. That way we both got 4 hrs sleep round abouts.

We used the fess saline drops, adn the squeezer to suck out the snotties, and it kinda worked. But its very distressing for bubs and is a 2-person job.
    We tried the baby cold stuff (dimetapp/demazin) and it did nothing We also were told to use vicks baby balsam (not sure if you have that there?) but only to put it on her singlet, not on her skin.

I hope tonight is better for you. I hope tonight is better for me!!

Fi

How stressful! Thanks for all the helpful hints. I don't think we have fess here, although i've sent the husband out at 6am this morning to get whatever he can from the supermarket!
    We went to the GP this morning, concerned because she is not eating or drinking and she has had a temperature. Seren has been crying constantly, but as soon as I arrive at the doctors she's all smiles! aargh! O Anyway, the doctor seems fairly happy with her so that's a relief.

Prop the mattress up at a 35 degree angle and put a blanket under her legs so she doesn't roll down. I found this was the best way to help the junk run down instead of blocking Kates nose when she was little. The mucous usually comes out the other end any way.

Hey Gwen,

I also have this problem atm with Pup. I think he got a cold thing from us using the evaporative air cooler in his room during those nights when we had 30+ degrees in the house at night (yukko). Thought you probably can't imagine that right now in the midst of your winter!!

Even though he is really mucousy sounding in his nose and the back of his throat, I can;t actaully see any snot. I have used the saline drops, but they don't seem to be working. His mattress is already propped at an angle (has been since he was a couple of weeks old to deal with reflux - which he never had 8-[ ) so I guess I'm doing stuff right.

Luckily Pup doesn;t need a dummy to go to sleep, but I do usually use it to resettle him if he wakes during the night. Because I couldn't use it (or he'd suffocate), when he woke twice during the night (OMG, he never does that), I had to feed him both times; once at 12.30am and once at 3am. And DH wonders why I'm tired this morning..........sigh...

Hayseed