Thread: Blood in pooh

Default Blood in pooh

Okay is this normal? It's just been a little bit today and I think it was because she was straining. She was crying in pain too. The pooh was a little harder than usual, but she's not constipated - she has been poohing at 5am every day!

Melinda Guest

I'd get that checked out Soph.

I don't want to be an alarmist, and it may well be just because she was straining a bit, but it's better to have that kind of thing looked at I think.

You could perhaps call your CHN as a first port of call, but also arrange a GP appt?

Kameron had blood in his poo when he had severe gastro when he was 8wks old. It was ended up being nothing and was just from a broken blood vessel or something like that. But definitely get it checked. They will probably want a stool sample as well.

Love

Thanks everyone - I'll ring the GP today.

Soph, I would try something to soften her poos... it may be giving her a little tear as it comes out, because it is hard it become smaller and it hurts to push out ... (I know it has happened to me 8-[ )

Good luck at the dr's

Tanya

Thanks Tanya. I actually rang the MCHN and she said to give her some brown sugar in water to soften things up, but not to worry too much at this stage. She guzzled the sugary water (she loves it!) so I'll give it a try for a couple of days and hopefully it will fix itself up.

That'd be info I'd like too... How much sugar per water???

Indah is fine, but for future ref!!! Hope Lucie's feeling better!

I think it's half a tsp of brown sugar in about 30ml water. I gave Lucie some this arvo and she scoffed it, but the last feed didn't go so well - I think it's given her a bit of wind in the belly, but that could just be coincidental.

Forgot to add...so I think I'll just try and give her extra bits of plain water throughout the day if tomorrow there is no blood. Give it a try Kate, she'll probably love it! I'm not convinced that it's that good for them though.

Melinda Guest

Kate - just on offering the cooled boiled water - it took a long time for Jacob to happily take it!!! It was only through months of perserverance with offering it to him that he eventually took it. Now he gulps it!

Hey - have you guys started solids yet?
    I really found that some foods caused nasty hurty constipation, and Jenna would scream.
    As soon as she looked uncomfy, I would whip her nappy off, lift her butt up and pull her cheeks apart, sort of pushing in either side of the actual hole. Sorry if TMI.

Anyway - I found out that too much rice cereal, and in our case sweet potato can cause constipation. So that has been stopped, and no probs since.

Great that the sugar worked - I wish I'd tried that!!! Would have saved lots of tears (from baby and mummy.... )
    Fi

Pietta Guest

Oh poor little things- i was so lucky when Ryley was little not too much constipation!! but recently i have given him prune juice when he got colgged up- OMG did that work a treat!!

Melinda Guest

We were lucky too Pee, in that we never had a problem with constipation/wind/reflux/colic etc!!!