Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Type

Default Blood Type

Not sure if this is in the right place.

Before I had Milo, I expected that I would be told his blood type when he was born, or it would be in the hospital notes, or his blue book. I thought it would have been tested and recorded somewhere, but apparently not.

Am I just weird thinking I need to know this or not? Do I have to take him for a blood test to find out or *should* the hopital have it on record somewhere?

I really see this as something that is important for me to know.

Fee Guest

That's strange. Cooper's blood type is written down in his red book.

I don't have Xander's written anywhere either?

In Jesse's blue book in the Brith Details section is has Blood Group: O Pos which im gathering is mine as im O+.. unless hes just the same as me?

Kynan's isn't written down anywhere either. I do know he is B something or other as when he developed jaundice they mentioned that they thought one of the contributing factors was that he's a B type and I'm O+. I just assumed they'd tested for his blood type when they did all the testing for jaundice.

I have no idea what my kids are eithre, and I would love to know.
    I presume they should know what it is from the heel ***** tests as that is the only time they take their blood.

Fee Guest

I guess I know Cooper's because I am A Neg so they had to test his?

In the red book there is a section for "Pregnancy Information" and it has "Mother's Blood Group - A Neg". Then underneath there is a section for "Neonatal Information" and it has "Baby's Blood Group (if tested) - A Neg" plus all the other info like Apgar, birth length, head circ etc.

I also have no idea what Mya-Rose's blood type is. Iv searched her red book but nothing. Ppl have asked me her blood type & i kinda feel like a bad mum coz i don't know.
    I'm like u & feel like this is something important that i should know

i was told i was A+ at birth (thats what mum was told anyway) and when i was pg with Anneliese they told me i was A- and had to be treate dto the rhesus neg thing. Im lucky it didnt affect the births/pregnancies of my other children... But i dont know their blood types either.

Hmm. Well I know that I'm A+, so there were no issues with RH - (though mum is A- so I was double checked).

I will as my gp next time I go, as he was my shared care provider and will know whether the hossy will have this on file.

They had to redo Maggies heel test after she came home, so nothing it written in my notes about it. I am interested to know.

I was told that they don't routinely test the blood group. I asked when Evan was a baby & thats what they said. I'm O+ & DH is O- so I am assuming the kids are O something.
    I think its important to know what their blood group is also. I mean think of it, in an emergency it would be much quicker to say he is O+ then to have to test.

tiggy Guest

It's not routinely tested. I think if you want to know, you need to have a blood test done.
    David and I are both A positive, and so are all of our kids. We didn't know Lily's though until she had her tonsils taken out in 2003. All the others were tested at birth because they were in the NICU.

I have wondered about this too, i asked my gp and he said it is not routinely done at birth, and i thought it was odd (maybe it's me thats odd LOL)
    I would have thought that it's deffinately something a mother should know
    My mum told me my blood group when i was 15 incase i ever needed to tell the school or a doctor or something, but dp is 32 and still has to ring his mum and ask her :eek:

Im sure Anneliese is an A+ (that why i had to have the anti-d) but the others i have no idea about...

DaddyO Guest

Default Not routine

I asked this very question when Finley was born and also was told it was not routine and that if a circumstance arises where a blood transfusion is neccessary, the process is very quick so don't worry too much about it rayray. If it is a case of needing to know for peace of mind I'm sure your local GP could help you out.

Ds's blood type is written in his blue book. I think they did it in the hospital when he had the heel ***** test.....

I have no idea what group any of my kids are. And DP has no idea what grouping he is either. I do know that I am A+ though.

Obviously it isn't a routine test done in all hospitals. I would be keen to know it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast