Thread: Booster

Default Booster

Ok, I have no idea on when to put EMily into a booster seat. She is 2years 7months old, but only wieghs about 11kg (can't remember how tall she is).

I am so sick of the car seat, but have no idea on when to move her.

Any ideas?

Tanya

She'd still need to be in a harness for a while as she's quite small, probally too small for a lap sash belt. Go and hassle someone at a baby shop and get some leaflets

Yeah, lady in Babyco the other day was saying the booster seats are not a safety seat whatsoever, if your child is not big enough to go onto normal car seat, they still always need to be wearing a 5 point harness. A friend of hers daughter died in a car accident after being in one of those booster seats where the seat belts go under the clip at the top, because she wasn't wearing a harness, she slid right out from under seat belt.

I would definately get some advice from someone in the biz.

I think most booster seats say they can be used from 14kg and up.

Aidyn is just on 14 kg (and very tall for his age too) and we have just put him in a booster seat. It is a newer design where the bottom part of the lap sash goes across the thighs/hips much more safely than the other designs, and doesnt allow the child to slide out under.
    My friend also has a seatbelt guide thingy that she bought from RACQ designed for use with booster seats, so I am going to look into getting one of those too.

I am still very worried though about safety...
    but we had to take him out of his baby seat as he was far too tall, and his eyes were way above the top level of the seat - and that is really dangerous for his head/neck, as they advise never to put your child in a carseat where his eye level is higher than the top of the seat.

There was another thread where someone was talking about some sort of seat that was for 8-24kg babies/toddlers. It was around $300. I want to get it myself, however we dont have that money.

Colleen Guest

Maxi Rider Car Seat, carries children from 8 - 28 kilos (check the babyco site)

I have the opposite problem though - Jaykob is too big for his seat but too young for a booster so Ive gone with the Maxi Rider.

He is 15.3 kilos @ 16months and quite tall and his baby seat only accomodates up to 16 or 18 kilo but the thing is he looks very awkward in the baby seat the straps are fully extended and still pulling his shoulders down.

The latest version of the maxi rider is like a huge captains chair lol it even has drink holders!!!

Good Luck - I hope you find something suitable!

I must admit i don't like booster seats after watching someones little girl undo the seat belt while her mum was driving and stand in the middle of the front seats.

When i had Alex and moved Kimberley into a new car seat we brought the Maxi Rider it's so much safer and you can use them until they are 7. Yes it does cost heaps at $300 but i'd prefer to pay that than see something happen to my kids if we have an accident.

You can also buy attachements for seatbelts that will *childproof* them so the kiddies cant unclip them.

I think I am going to check this maxi-rider seat out though... maybe I can get it in a sale somewhere.

Thanks for your input girls

I think I will leaver her in the car seat for the time being. But when the new bub comes, I will have to do something, there is just not enough room for 3 car seats!
    She is a pain in the behind... she always gets her arms out of the harness, it having her in the car seat is quite dangerous anyway. I will try and tighten then a bit ans see how we go.

Does anyone know the recommended height for a change? Emily is about 90cm tall (or short).

Thanx again

Tanya

Tanya, thanks for starting this thread as Matthew is getting too tall for his car seat and he`s not quite 12 months yet 8-[

Thanks girls for recommending the maxi rider, looks like that may be the way to go with Matthew, DH was talking about a booster but it doesn`t seem safe enough to me, I`m of to check out the babyco site now.

Take Care

Dee