Thread: Booster Seats

Default Booster Seats

Evan will be 3 in a few months. He is a terror when it comes to keeping his arms in the straps of the harness on his car seat. But he is getting to tall for his seat now and I think he needs to move up to a booster seat. Problem is, I don't think he is "old" enough to be trusted with just a normal seat belt. I also don't like that the normal booster seats I have looked at don't actually fasten to the car in any way. DH thinks Evan would be safer to just leave him in his baby seat. But I really want to make sure that he is as safe as possible. I know that you can get a harness that you can use while they are in a booster seat but again, They look like they they can only be used with a lap seat belt, not the out side shoulder belts. My car isn't wide enough to have him in the middle as I have 2 baby seats in the car.

What have others done with the kiddies?? Can I actually get a booster seat that can be anchored to the car and have a harness to anchor the child to the seat!!

My DD wasn't a problem in the car however going from her car seat to a booster seat I wanted to give her as much protection as possible so we bought a 'H' harness to use with her booster. We could use it with either a lap belt or a lap/sash belt. This might be the answer for you.

Kameron just uses the normal belt that goes over his shoulder on his booster, but I have a friend who has a harness that works with both the middle seat and outer seats.

Love

We have just put Cairenn into a Safe n Sound Peagasus Booster seat.

She is fine with the seat belt - but she knows that she is cactus if she takes her arms out!!

The seat we took her out of was the Safe n SOund Maxi Rider and it will take kids up to around 24kg or so (don't quote me on that though! Not quite sure of the max weight). It connects to the anchor point and has a harness. Only moved her up one as we need to move Liam in order to give bubs the newborn seat! WOW are we going to have a tight fit across the back of the Fairmont with 3 seats!!

I don't know if you can get a booster that connects to the anchor point - maybe have a look on the safe n sound website or the choice magazine website is another good place to look.

Best of luck

There is a booster seat/car set you can buy, but I can't remember the name of it. #-o It has the straps like car seats do, so you can use it for smaller children but also it is for older children aswell and you can either use those straps or take them out and use the car seat belt.

I know you can get them at Baby Buntings, (I don't know if you have them in NSW) also they are quite expensive, they cost about $300 but if you plan on having any more kids then it will come in handy.

IF I think of the name of it i will let you know

Default reply

Sorry to steal your post but I was wondering what age (weight) what ever comes first you can put them in a booster seat? Ta sorry again to steal!!

Thanks guys.

I read that once your childs head is over the top of the back of the seat, then they need to move to a bigger seat.

I have seen the Maxi rider one, that was the only one that I did find that was bigger then the rest of the car seats of the design. I will just keep hunting I think...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Marisa has been in a booster since she has been two, with a harness. We were also worried about her taking off the straps, but we encountered the opposite - she was so excited sitting in her new seat that she doesn't move.

She is on the passenger side of the back seat, boosters can be placed anywhere. They have special clips to hold the seatbelts low and together - not long ago we actually had the child restraint people check and help us fit it to Marisa's needs, when the capsule was put in for Elijah.

So I would say, give it a try, just leave the baby seat in just in case. Although I would assume that baby seats are designed to cater up to certain sizes / weights so you might have to check that out too, and see which is the safest option. If he does sit in his booster seat without trying to get out of it, give him lots of praise and reward his good behaviour rather than bad.

Perhaps some distraction might work - does he have many toys in the back? I find Marisa is much easier to manage in the back when I give her different things top play with in the back, although she often will be fine in the back seat. It's just when she's tired or bored she's more trying!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Problem is, my car isn't wide enough to have a booster seat as well as his baby seat in there at once.

With toys etc, he does have a heap of cr8p on the back seat but again, when he drops something he tries to get it. He would just jump out and get it I think if he could.

I think it would actually work out for expensice for me to get the booster, the harness and I would need one of those locks for the seat belt clip, he would undo it. He leans over and undos the one on his seat now at every chance he gets!!

I don't know if anyone has that TV program Bright Ideas where they live (usually on a Saturday) but they have a thing that you can attach to the seatbelt so the kids can't undo it themselves when they are in a booster. I was thinking of getting one, cause as soon as the car is turned off Kameron undoes his seatbelt ready to get out, and don't want him doing it in the middle of driving. Although he has been good just lately.

Love

Yeah thats the lock thingy I am talking about, I actually seen them in K mart

Fire Fly Guest

Fiona, i eventually went out to Mc Graths Hill to a store that used to be in Windsor. Its called 'Niggle Noggles'. Just turn after 'Bunnings.

Anyway, they have the car seats that are the same as the baby seats. They are taller at the back with harness straps and it fastens the same as the baby seats, with an anchor point.
    The only difference is they have arm rests and not solid sides. They had 2 modules is stock. Both different from each other.

The one with arm rests has fold out cup holders and a toy bag for memory. I intend on getting this one for DD as its so similar to her current chair. The price is scary though but money is not an issue when your kids are envolved. There $360.
    Come in a few different colours, but i think are the safest. Theres NO WAY id put DD in a booster seat, i dont think there safe enough. But thats just my opinion. I just dont like them.

Kerrie, I really think you could get a better price then that. Niggle Noggles is expensive. $360 is way out of my budget..

Fire Fly Guest

Yeah i know. Its really out of mine to.

I intend on going back to Penrith to look in Babys Galore and Baby Co. Compare the prices and see what other seats they have. Claire isnt quiet ready yet so it gives me time to save up. I think the chair she is in now was $400 so i expect to pay for something good. But i always seem to pick the dearer ones. Lucky Me!

We need a bulk baby shop were we live eh.

expecting double Guest

Default Booster Seats / Niggle Noggles

I know what you mean about that shop at McGraths Hill. I think they are called Country Kids Barn now. WHAT A DUMP!! I went in there to look at prams and car seats and they are hopeless. The girl that works there knew nothing about twin prams and she was so rude. It's all seconds and damged stuff at top dollar prices!! I asked her why they were so dear and she said take it or leave it!! Awful customer service!! Sorry, had my whinge now. Baby Co at Penrith were fantastic. Spent a fortune there. Good Luck shopping.

lol what a stupid thing to say when they are obviously not the only place to get baby stuff. Stupid women, Its funny how many people fail to realise how much faster and further a bad experience will spread over a good one.

expecting double Guest

Exactly!! I've heard a lot of bad things about that place and the people that now own it. Friends of mine used to shop there when it was in Windsor and apparently the guy that now runs it left his wife and young baby and took off with the girl that works for him. My friends still buy stuff from the wife who runs the little Niggle Noggles kids clothes shop in Windsor. He's bad news in the Hawkesbury!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

expecting double,

Welcome to BellyBelly! Please do tell us more about yourself - you might like to post in the Introduce Yourself forum and everyone will say g'day! We'd love to have you chat along with us, hopefully about general things too, other than just bad feedback of a business
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.