Thread: Bottle to Cup... whats the best way, pls help

Proud Mummy Guest

Default Bottle to Cup... whats the best way, pls help

Hello, whats the best way to wean a baby out of using the baby bottle? DD is now 18 months old, and she drinks her water in a sipper cup, however only likes her milk in a bottle. I have tried giving her milk in her sipper cup which is suppose to be leak proof etc, but most seems to end up everywhere else, and she doesnt like drinking from it, what do I do. I have seen some sipper sups at hsops which have a built in straw, do u know if they are any good? which works for yours?

I always only offer water (once bubs can have water) so around 6-8mths in a Mag Mag straw cup, they eventually they get the hang of using a straw & not needing to tip the cup up to drink out of, so Maddy (bottle fed) was using a straw for water & milk from about 8months onwards by 10 mths she refused her bottles & only used a straw in a cup (I find Mag Mag the best they are about $12ish though, but Indah is now using Maddy's old one (8+yrs later)
    Indah was breastfed but from 6mths onwards had Expressed milk from a bottle as i was back at work, I also introduced the Mag Mag cup (pigeon brand) around 6ish months when she started solids & she has been drinking Milk & water from these cups from about 10months (although she was still breastfeeding 2 times a day til about 14mths) she'd have cows milk in a cup during the day or water! (I now have 3 Mag Mag cups & rotate them)
    I have never gone on to a sippy cup as its' just an added step to try to teach them & then wean them off as such, Indah also can use an open topped cup (no straw by herself, but usually we have some spillage!)

Proud Mummy - I am having the same problem as you. Milo will drink anything from a cup (straw or spout), except milk

I just keep trying, one day I know he'll do it....

My advice would be to keep offering. I remember with Paris we bought a specific cup that was for milk only and only offered milk in that cup. We did the same thing with Paris. We also got the tommee tippee sippy cups with the round spout rather than a flat one and they both preferred it over others...

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

*las* Guest

We had the same problem with DS and he ended up taking it from a cup with a straw, not sure why, maybe he related the sucking action to the bottle??!!

Proud Mummy Guest

Thanks everyone! Yes I think I'll have to buy the cup with the straw, see how it goes!