Thread: Bottle Refusal.. very stressed

Default Bottle Refusal.. very stressed

I have posted in the bottle feeding section but things have taken a turn for the worse and I am getting super super stressed so thought I might post here for some advice..
    DS is refusing all of his bottles and I just can't work out why. I don't think he is teething - he already has his bottom 2 and I can't see anything else coming through, although I have been using bonjella and teething relief before feeds in case that was the problem.

For example - I managed to get him to drink 100ml yesterday as he was drifting off for his morning sleep, then he wouldn't drink anything until about 5am this morning when he drank about 80ml then nothing.. . As soon a he sees the bottle he turns his head away, and if I manage to get it in his mouth, he pushes it out or just holds the teat in his mouth without drinking anything. He is not a fabulous eater with his solids either - if he was I think I wouldn't be so stressed. I have tried changing formulas, changing type of teat, offering it out of a cup or straw, which he will happily drink water but refuses as soon as he realises milk is in it. This has been going on for about a month now and I just don't know what is happening. I have taken him to the health centre, but she is a bit of dope and started telling me about offering finger foods . When I explained some days he will drink nothing at all, she told me I need to try and get at least 600ml into him but offered no suggestions..Every single feed time is a battle and I just don't know whether to contiously keep offering it to him or if that is making things worse.
    Does anyone have any ideas or similar stories that might show me this is all normal and not to be so stressed??

HI em,

My cousins kids were like this, she could never get them to drink anything more than 50ml at a time, so she just used to offer them small amounts at regular intervals during the day.
    Are you in an area with more than one CHN - is changing to a different centre an option for you? You could also talk to your GP about it.

Has anything changed between when your DS used to have his bottles/milk and now, that he might be associating it with.

Hey Em

Sorry you're having a tough time at the moment

I'm sure this is way off (as I'm not sure sure about the full history as I haven't read any of your other threads, so unsure how long it's been going on for) but he hasn't got any mouth ulcers or a sore throat has he? Just a thought..and like I said probably way off!

Hope things improve really soon..

RayRay - we only have 2 MCHN's here - the other one is booked out weeks in advance.. (can understand why!). Nothing has changed between us - this is why I am stressing. I am trying not to 'force' the milk onto him or battle to much because I don't want it to become an association with the bottle.

Lee - this has been goig on for about a month now. I have taken him to GP as I had exactly same thought as you but throat etc looks fine. I also thought maybe an ear infection as he constantly pulls at his ear and scratches inside it but they checked it all out (twice) and it is apparently looks fine

curl Guest

Hi em,

Have you tried contacting Tresillians or Karitane? I found Karitane a huge help with my youngest when I had issues at about the same age. Just a thought.

Curl