Thread: Breast feeding question

maggie Guest

Default Breast feeding question

HI

DS si 5weeks tomorrow.,. sometimes he will feed for 15mins , i always try to get him to draina breast(this is during the day) but then other times he could scuk for under 10mins, like its a top up.. At night, he feeds for a lot longer, i think this is because my breasts are very full, as it has been like 4 hrs between feeds. but durting the day they arent as full, so i think he has top ups all day long,, which i am trying to stop, which is hard... how long does your nwborn, saya mnth old, suck on the breasts for at each feed/

I usually try to get Ashleigh to take 20 mins from one side and then just encourage the other side which she may take 5 mins on.
    During the day feeding can take a lot longer for me cause I find she gets quite distracted. We went through a stage where she would prefer to look around after only 10 mins of being on the boob and then will want the rest an hour later so later so as I didn't want her on my boob constantly I pretty much have to push her to have a proper feed. I find that it has helped cut down the amount of feeds and she also settled a bit more.

I was told by CAFHS that each baby is different and some babies are very proficient suckers/feeders and can get enough milk in 5 - 10 minutes, while others take much longer.
    My baby was easily distracted so I fed him with a wrap over by shoulder and covering his head so he couldnt look around and this helped to keep him focused.

Ella was a very proficient feeder and even as a premmie she would have an entire feed off both breast in 15mins...prob 7 mins or so each breast. And as she got older she only got faster! I knew she had had a full feed as my breasts felt drained and she was content for a full 3 hrs between feeds I also found that covering her with a muslin wrap helped to block out any distractions.

Paige is a proficient feeder...and can be done in around 5 to 10 minutes when boobie is full, or around 15 min if she is in the mood. She is a one boobie girl as well. I always express from the boobie she has drank from after a feed to empty it.

She is a happy puker and is putting on above average weight each clinic visit...so I have no problems with her notbeing on the breast for too long...she either pulls herself off, or begins to comfort suck, which is when i remove her myself.

Each baby is different

maggie Guest

Thx guys

Chrissy, do you mind letting me know how much weight your little one is putting one ach week. my ds is about the same age. thanks

Maggie - Paige has been putting on 500g a fortnight....so around 250g a week....the average is supposedly approximately 150-200g a week.