Thread: Bronchitis?

Question Bronchitis?

Hey ladies...

Izzy had the cold last week - and she hasnt been able to shake away her cough and as my DF and DSS's hae asthma I am weary that izzy might have it too... So i took her to the doctors yesterday as my doctors on holidays i had to see another doctor. Who said izzys throat is a bit red and she has bronchitis and might be asthmaic as well.

So shes put her on amoxil and giving us ventalin for her. Now im not to sure about her disgnostis... So im taking her back to my doctor next week when he gets back.

My question is How do the diagnos asthma? My DSS were diagnosed before i knew them so im not to sure about the process...

I am continuing with the treatment that this doctor has prescribed, until i get to see my doctor... But another question how do i know shes getting the ventilin proberly. We've got the spacer and the mask, the doctor said give two puffs, 4 times a day... How do i know shes getting the right amount???

And is the medication going to do any harm??? If she doesnt have bronchitis? from what i have read on it. It doesnt sound like she has it???

Abit on sure on what to do? What should i do???

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this makes no sence
    Cass

Hi,
    My DD had broncheolitis when she was 6wks old. She then got it three more times before she was 6mths. She had definite wheezing which is what alerted me to it. She does have asthma she is now 7. She was never given ventolin until she was about 3. Usually asthma is not diagnosed under 2yrs of age. You mentioned the doctor said bronchitis which is different to broncheolitis which they associate with asthma. I would definately take her back to your dr when he returns. I was told in hospital the way you can tell if bubs is having difficulty in breathing is to take off their top, lie them down and watch the sides of the ribs and if they are being sucked in that's when they are having trouble breathing. If it is asthma you should be able to hear a definate wheeze also.

Hope this was of some help. Let us know how you go.

Regards,
    Dianne

Sorry - Its broncheolitis! You saying it refresh my memory - That is what the doctor called it. I just thought it was the same thing - sorry...

Hi,
    It sounds like it could be asthma then, but I can't give you any advice on the ventolin as DD wasn't put on ventolin until much later. If you are using a spacer it should be entering bubs airways ok. All the best.

Regards,
    Dianne

Cass, sorry to hear Izzy is still ill It shouldn't be bronchialitis hun, they don't generally get that past I think it's 6 months?? Maybe 12... hmmm but anyway, that's usually a younger baby thing cos the bronchials in their lungs are still small and it's the step before pneumonia basically. It's what Oskar had at 5 months. With asthma, generally it's about 2-3 yrs before they can really tell cos they can't do the breathing tests (for lung capacity etc ) before that age where they do the "take a big breath and blow into this tube" thing cos they're too young to know what to do. She should be getting the right amount of medication with the spacer and everything. I hope she gets better soon to you both.

Thanks Cass and Diane!
    Cass from what i read on broncholitis it generally is in the age between 1month to 6 months. But can occur up to 2years of age... and that it is related to Asthma- Don't know more then that.

Umm another question tho - I got told that children under the age of 5 shouldnt be using puffers??? Is this true.
    Thanks ladies

How is she doing Cass??

Re: puffers I'm not sure. I know of 2 other babies around similar age to Izzy who are using them though.

I had lots of Dr's tell me to give DD2 a puffer (yes there is one for little kids, it's a special thing...sorry for lack of detail there) anyway I went to my fave Dr (who just lives alot further away) and he said becuase DD has had persistent coughs they say it "may" be asthma, but his suggestion was to wait and see and if the cough didnt' go to try the puffer. He said it wouldn't hurt to use it if it wasn't necessary (just reduces inflamation in the lungs) but if it did work, not to rely on it either. Luckily I didn't need it, but I took the script just in case. He was very clear that it wouldn't be harmful to try it.
    With bronchiolitis (sp?) I would think that's a bit different, but it could help it. Maybe worth a try? xo

Hey Girls

Cass - She's doing okay - She's not coughing as frequently but her coughing sound is still bad (like a chesty choking cough) And shes not so much screaming when i give her the ventalin now - more of a inbetween a cry and a scream

Thanks Web - I am going ring up my normal doctor today and get an appointment with him but i dont think he is back until the end of the week. He's a fab doctor who's very hesitant to give out medication... Good to hear its not harmful to try the puffer.

I should be used to handling puffers/nebulisers (sp?) now since DF and DSS's are all asthmatic. But its still scary putting the mask up to my little girl

Hi,
    A friend of mine had a bub with asthma and was prescribed liquid ventolin, much easier to administer and with the cough normally with asthma it's a very dry cough.

Regards,
    Dianne

I'm glad she's doing better Cass. it's always harder when it's your biological bub I think.

thanks Cass - Me to

"it's always harder when it's your biological bub I think" Yea i've been told that quite a few times. and i swear it would never be an issue - they are all my kids i love them all the same - But as much as i try to fight it - it is a huge issue No idea how to cope with it hoping it'll jsut fade on its own

I know what you're saying. I think to be honest it's not something that's uncommon. The main thing is to be concious of how all the kiddies are treated and to be consistent with each of them (Joshua shows signs of differing treatment from his SM and even his dad has voiced it). I have no doubt you love them all just the same hun and that they all know that cos you are a wonderful mum.

Oh thank you cass I do try

Dear Cass and all,

Found this thread by accident. I don't have children but as an asthma educator I thought I might clarify a few things so you can put your mind at rest.

Diagnosing asthma can be tricky with kids but is not impossible. Key things to look for include: persistent coughing (especially at morning or night), especially with certain triggers; known allergy, wheezing and difficult breathing (shortness of breath).

Ventolin are not harmful as it act locally and its only function is to relax the muscles. In asthma there are two things happening: 1) bronchio-constriction. This occurs when the person is exposed to a triggering factor (eg dust, pollen) which causes an allergic reaction in the lungs, the muscles thus constrict. In severe cases, the person might having problems breathing (known as severe asthma attack) and would require medical attention. A nebulizer is often use but a spacer is just as effective,often the ambulance does not need to come 2) inflammation of the lungs. This is a more serious and has more lasting effect. If a person has asthma symptoms and require to use ventolin (also known as a reliever) 2-4 times a day to relieve symptoms then chances are their lungs would have long lasting imflammation which if not resolved would have irreversible damage. These people (are know to have mild to severe asthma) would require to use a preventer (eg seritide, symbicort).

Spacers are very good (even better than nebulisers) because you will get maximum meds to your lungs without requiring a forceful breathing (breathe in) mechanism. The mask ensures that children breathe in the meds. If you are not sure if your child has taken enough meds, just keep the mask on and let them breathe in and out for 6 to 8 breaths. More short breathes is just the same as one big deep breath. Make sure you shake the ventolin again before you give the next puff.

Ventolin does come in a liquid form. Discuss it with your GP. Personally, I think it should only be considered if your children is unable to breath in with the spacer or you have particular reason not to use the spacer/puffers. Liquid ventolin will take slower to give the instant relief as a puffer would.

Good luck to all mothers with asthmatic children. I know asthma attacks/symptoms can be a very scary thing.

Kahlan

Thanks Kahlan for your advice and wisdom