Thread: Bub with a cold

Default Bub with a cold

Hi

Our little girl has picked up my horrible cold and cough and is having a rough time of it - not going to sleep and very congested. We have given her some baby panadol and she has the baby Vicks but apart from that I cant think of anything to help her. Can anyone help?

If she is really congested you can get saline nose drops and a sucky bulb thing and suck some of the mucus out of her nose for her. You can also get those things that pump steam into the air which helps to clear thier lungs but the whole room will get kind of damp so you will have to make sure you give it a good airing afterwards (one of those electric frying pans with water in it not quite boiling is a cheaper substitute that has the same effect but you need to keep an eye on it so you can't use it overnight).
    Do you put the vicks on her feet? Our Dr recommends this. I'm not sure why - maybe because she's an old hippy.
    There are some cold and flu medications designed for babies. If you ask the pharmicist they'll help you out.
    I hope she feels better soon.

Melinda Guest

You could just take her into the bathroom instead and turn the shower on but don't put any fans on. You could sit in there with her for a while. At least if you're in the bathroom, once you leave, you can turn the fans on to suck up all the moist air and open up windows etc.

mooshie Guest

mimo

isn't it just terrible when bubs get colds you can feel so helpless.

i was going to suggest all that dachlostar suggested and yes i use the vicks on the feet for the kiddies and ourselves put socks on after you put the vicks on to. my dh told me years ago about it and i thought it was a load of crappola but it seems to work here. also the steam is great i think our vapouriser is probably the best $50 we ever spent in respect of the baby stuff you can buy.

you can use infant demazin from around 1mth i still don't know if it makes much of a difference although with my 5yr old it does tend to dry the nose up a bit quicker than without it.

also keep the fluids up plenty of water if she will drink it and if she is on solids you could try giving her foods with lots of vitamin c like strawberries or kiwi fruit.

Another one here that agrees that Vicks on the bottom of your feet really does work

Love

mooshie Guest

sorry i forgot also if she is having trouble with snotty nose and sleeping you could try raising the mattress a little. i quite often do this with lani if she is a little snotty or snuffley and lying flat doesn't help so i roll a couple of handtowels up and put them under the top of the mattress so it is a little raised.

Mimo it truely does suck when they are sick! We've tried all the above. We usually before her bath spray saline up her nose & then while she's in a bath we have the vapouriser going in her room, as we are getting her ready for bed we use vicks on her feet. We prop her up for a while & try sucking out as much as we can before bed, but even then it only lasts a little while. On Friday night she slept in my arms in our bed because nothing we did would help her & she was distressed....so thats where she slept & then last night she slept the whole night through... good luck!

Thanks for the replies - she was a lot worse this monring and I took her to the Dr. She has developed a nasty cough and was crying after every episode. Ive resorted to baby panadol.

Ive never heard of the Vicks on their feet - we have been using the Baby Balsam but I have been putting it straight onto her chest. Is this bad?

Melinda Guest

No I don't think that's a problem at all.....I have put the Vicks Baby Balsam on Jacob's chest in the past as well.

Annie Guest

Vaporizer will do absolute wonders for breathing. We ended up running it a few times a week in winter, when the house got really dry, even when DS didn't have a cold, just to keep a bit more moisture in his room. It really eased his breathing. No offense meant to Dachlostar, but I would absolutely NOT use an electric frying pan to add moisture to the air. Besides being a fire hazard with carpets, curtains, etc, you've got the danger of open scalding water in a baby's room. Many vaporizers are made to work with cool mist as well as warm, so you can use them safely at night, and even the warm is carefully temp controlled so there's no danger of burns. Last thing you want is to forget about the pan of water on the floor and have baby discover it. (Sorry if I sound frantic, but I had a friend in elementary school with permanent awful skin-graft scars on his forearm from pulling over one of those electric frying pans when his mum wasn't looking for a split second...)

Best of luck. It's so awful when baby has a rotten cold. I send lots of sympathy,
    Annie

mooshie Guest

mimo

no problem with the baby balsalm on the chest, however just keep a watch for a rash with it, i know it's mild but my kiddies seem to have sensitive skin and i use the baby balsalm even with my 5yr old but if i put it straight on his chest he gets a shocking rash from it so i just put it on his singlet. we vicks the kids up lol chest, back and feet.

no offence taken Annie but it never occured to me that people wouldn't take basic safety precautions #-o .

Default Bad Cold

Mackenzie seems to have had a cold from the day she left hospital and she's now 14 months old so I know how you feel! I guess this is just how it is with winter babies. I use the baby vicks on her back and chest (and will also do her feet now) and a vapouriser is the best thing ever! For some reason they suggest that you don't use and oil in the vapourisers during the first year of a babies life. I have used the euclyptus oil in it from the day Mackenzie turned one and it is amazing how much difference it made! One of the many time we took Mackenzie to the Doctor she actually prescribed ventolin (she was only about 6 mths old) which we gave her thru the face mask as she was coughing sooooo badly her whole body looked like it was convulsing (which it wasn't but this is the only way I can explain it). She was really chesty and this seemed to help. Mind you, this was the second doctor we saw in 2 days (which I advised when we got there) as I was not happy with the first doctor telling me to go home and just sit it out. It is just so bad when they are sick and you feel helpless, hang in there and go to your doctor if you feel you need to.