Thread: Bub with ear infection - give me strength!!

Default Bub with ear infection - give me strength!!

Hi there,

The other night my baby woke every hour crying and very hard to settle. I was nearly going off my head. Both my husband and I were completely at a loss to know what to do, panadol, nurofen was useless. Anyway cut a long story short, went to the GP and she said my DS has a severe middle ear infection... I was relieved at least to know what the problem was. Very rude shock to the system for bub to be waking so much when he normally sleeps through.

My GP prescribed antibiotics which I didn't like giving my baby but of course did, as I have had many middle ear infections and know the pain etc that goes with them.

I know that ear infections are common in babies, especially after having a cold (which bub had first). How long should it take for infection to go completely. I have to give bub antibiotics for a week.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Matilda has had one ear infection & 2 bouts of tonsilitis, and if I can remember for them all she started getting better after her 2nd day on them. Its so hard & frustrating when they are sick. I find the lack of sleep does me in.

Kameron who is now 3.5yrs old quite often had ear infections and yeah after a day or two on antibiotics he was a lot better within himself.

Love

Colleen Guest

Hmmm this gets me thinking Jaykob might have an ear infection,

hes been a little restless & silly me for not seeing the signs, hes been pulling on his ears.... isnt that a sign of EI??

hmmm might get him checked out :/

I hope ur bub is feeling better

Matilda has an ear infection now ](*,) and yes pulling on the ear is a great sign

Thanks guys for your replies.

It's sooooo hard to know what is wrong with bubs at times. My baby has been pulling on his ears for ages, but he is also teething....

The real sign for me was when I rubbed my bub's head in the night to try and comfort him and he pulled away from me when my hand went near the ear that was infected. He normally loves having his ears touched, cleaned etc.

Colleen, if you're baby is really unsettled (more so than normal) maybe take him to the doc and have his ears checked - at least then you'll know for sure.

Good luck, and wishing sleepful nights for everyone

Cheers