Thread: Bubs 1st Bday! Need Ideas!

Proud Mummy Guest

Default Bubs 1st Bday! Need Ideas!

Hello
    DD is turning 1 soon and we've decided to have a big party for her, as many of our cousins and friends have young kids. We're either gonna have it at a park/gardens, or at MIL's house, who was nice enough to offer her place to us.
    What kind of activities and games should I have for the kids? I can only think if "Pass the parcle"! Also, do you have idea's for some games for the parents too! hehe just to make it fun for all
    THANX

How about a Pinata? Young and old can all have go.

I hired a helium tank and did balloons galore. Kids LOVE balloons and to make things interesting, I put treats high up on some of the strings so when the kids pulled the balloons down to play with them, they got the occasional treat!

We did the balloon thingy too but love the idea of treats idea. We had about 10 kids at Miss M's first birthday (it seems like just yesterday ) and they pretty much entertained themselves running around outside. I guess it was a little hard to try and get games organised for them as we had about 30 Adults and I was too busy getting food ready to try and get the kids organised for a game. However, if you have helpers, how about musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey (or if you are well organised you can do a print out of your bubba and they can play pin the nappy on the baby!). Pass the life savers (with a toothpick). Guess how many lollies are in the jar. Statues - you know when the music stops you freeze. Have fun!

Little kids love treasure hunts too. And if you wrap the treasures in alfoil, they're easy for little eyes to spot, and won't get ruined by dirt/rain etc

We had 50 people including 11 kids for Amyís 1st birthday. I had a list of games and lots of prizes but was so busy hosting the party, I didnít get around to doing the games. We also had the house decorated with lots of helium balloons and there were also balloons with about 6 small balloons tied together which the kids threw around. I Googled for games and some of the ones I was going to do were:

- Hide the toy. Amy has 3 different sized Cookie Monsters and I was going to hide them in the rumpus/playroom for the kids to find.
    - Build the blocks Ė stack peek-a-boo blocks up and when they fall everyone cheers.

Thatís all I can remember. We looked at getting a pinata but most of the kids were under 5 so I was worried about them getting hurt. The kids had such a great time playing with Amyís toys that they didnít mind missing out on playing the games. It is harder in winter as you canít really do water based things and the kids are confined to inside.

Good luck!

Matilda's 1st birthday we didn't have any activities. We had 5-6 children under 3 so we brought out the snacks & brought a box of toys for them to play with, but they were fine entertaining themselves exploring the area. We did have some bubble play with music which they all loved but didn't even think about having organised activities LOL.

Musical bobs is always fun though with littlies it might be a bit hard. A treasure hunt is always great. How old are the other children? For Sammy's bday we will be doing the normal pass the parcel, musical bobs, statues, and really nothing else more adventurous than that as they really are just watching alongside at this age. We have hired bouncy castles, and that balloon monkey thing and have had a clown though and they are always a big hit. It really depends how far you want to go with it. Have fun..birthdays are great fun!!

Jo

Hi - i'm a proud mummy too of a little almost one yr old. We're just having a bbq with close family and friends....not really any chn old enough to enjoy games so we're just keepin it simple. Will do party bags, pink and purple theme with balloons, banner, coloured plates, cutlery and serviettes and a great cake - so that it's still something special for dd's big day.
    Good luck with it all...oh and a plug for some fabulous, original invites i got made (u can actually view them on her site)- and they hardly cost me anything - Gypsie Designs on fellow bb member 'Fletch's sig. i highly recommend her if u want some gorgeous invites for the special day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm already planning Emma's too!

I got a pinyata case from target, but it's one you pull strings on instead of bashing. So all the big kids can do it, but so can the littlies. (they advise you make sure the 'right' string gets saved until last )

Otherwise we'll be just having a BBQ. I think she'll have a ball just having everyone around. Oh - & I like the treasure hunt idea too!

Proud Mummy Guest

WOW! Thank you so much for all the great idea's! I certainly have enough there to get the party happening!
    Please dont laugh when I say this But DD's bday isnt until November! But Ive already started planning now! I cant help it, I get all excited, i think Im a big kid myself!What Ive done, which i think is a great money saving tip too, is every week, I buy a small amount of things for the party, so that when it comes I dont have to come up with hundreds of dollars at once. Like last week I bought all the invites & party hats, this week I bought a few prizes for the games so by her bday, the only thing I need to worry about is the food!
    The weather in Melb is usally nice in Nov (hopfully) So thanks for the idea about simply having a play area with kids toys, coz I could put a picnic rug on the grass with DD's toys for the littlies to play with. And for the older kids, could have pinyata and some other games.
    Thank you so much again for the fab ideas! Im new to this forum and I cant beleive how supportive everyone is, and the great ideas you give! Thank you again
    Last edited by Proud Mummy; July 21st, 2006 at 06:27 PM.

Hee hee - - I'm planning already for October - but glad to hear I'm not the only one planning so far ahead - it's fun isn't it?!!

I think getting a bit each week is a great idea! It also means you don't have a huge stress later.

Hi Guys. For Harry's b'day we didn't have many games - we did pass the parcel and the kids just ran around and amused themselves. the great thing we did though was bought a cheap canvas and some finger paint - we got each of the kids to finger paint a little bit of the canvas and now Harry has a great original art work made by him and his mates at his first birthday party! It's hung on the wall above his change table and he always points to it. It was great fun. You don't need to do too much at a 1st b'day.

I'm planning already as well! he he he. It's such an exciting time!! We're just having a bbq in the park as well and only for a couple of hours over lunch. I hadn't even though of games. I figure the park we're going to has a great playground so that will be enough to keep the kids occupied. I'll do lollybags as well.
    What lollies/treats do you think I should put in for little kids?

Great idea on buying a bit each week - I will start doing that soon I think!

I think any lollies for older kids. I hadn't really thought about what would be suitable. Hhmmm, maybe marshmallows?