Thread: Bunk Beds.....safe??

Default Bunk Beds.....safe??

With the arrival of #3 in Sept, we will have to move Sophie outta her own room and share with DD#1.......ive been looking at bunk beds to save on space...what do you think of them? Choice has them listed as one of the top ten things not to buy your kids !!! Rooms are fairly average size, not huge, but not pokey either.
    DD#1 would have just turned 4 by time #3 comes - she would be on top bunk....do you think its safe???

I dont know what my other options are....

Kameron had bunk beds and always slept in the bottom bunk. When Lachlan had to start sharing his room with the impending arrival of Ashton, I actually split the bunks and made them 2 single beds in his room. It is a tight squeeze but we did it. Kameron is now 5 and I still don't feel ready for him to be in a top bunk yet, so it will probably stay that way for a couple more years yet.

Love

We will have bunks for Maddy & Indah... Maddy will go on top at age 8.5yrs, Indah aged 18months will go on bottom bunk, both bunks jhave side rails & as our bedrooms are small we got one with heaps of stoarge under it & stuff... We slept on bunks & only when we pushed our younger sister off did she ever hurt herself!!! ooops!

My nephews who are very active and can be very naughty boys have bunk beds at their dad's place and they (so far) have been Ok. I think it's important to evaluate your own child's ability to be in a bunk bed. It's like pools,kids do drown in pools, but not all children drown in all pools. Bunk beds are the number one cause of bone breaks in kids under (I think it's 12?) but not every child who sleeps in a bunk bed is going to break something.
    I think if your child can be educated as to how to be safe in a top bunk, if you have a railing (if neccessary) then it's fine. Just like educating kids how to be safe around the pool. Obviously not something you can teach smaller children, so you need to evaluate your own kids, will they behave and respect what you teach them? They also make bunk beds lower to the ground now, and sometimes have them in an L shape or similar so these may be options for you. Or a trundle bed might be the answer for a while until the kids are older. We don't have big rooms so we are looking at one of those beds that has a desk underneath for our older daughter so I know how you feel.

if you google a company called 'bunkers' there are heaps of really well thought out bunk bed ideas and many have storage. Several also have a trundle as well, which could be used when kids are too little for the top bunk. Also, these bunks have railings the full way round the bed.

yup not rec. for kids under 10.
    we will be in a similar situation when this bub is born...jade wont be over 10 (maybe 8 when bubs is 3?)but we will have a prob space wise. guess i will have to cosleep abit longer LOL.

We brought a bunk bed for Kimberley and until she is old enough we have taken the ladder away so they don't play on the top bunk.

Maddy has slept in triple bunk beds on top, middle & bottom, I have nop doubt she will be responsible & fine (she's a bit nerdy too & rarely pushes a boundary!) LOL

Indah, on the other hand is our cheeky boundary pushing one so she may climb up & break a bone!???

Thanks ladies....
    • I would defn get rails on both beds
    • I like the idea of taking the ladder away during the day.....
    • Im more interested in the "L" shape type.
    We too had bunk beds when we were kids, but much older, 8 or 9. Not 4 and 19 months !!!!!!
    I measured two single beds in the bedrooms today and it would seriously be squashy, do-able but no room for play etc.
    There are some really, really gorgeous looking bunk beds around , i wouldn't just get the cheap steel looking ones....
    Emalee screams when a fly wanderes past her face, she's a very cautious girl, so teaching her the dangers of the bunk beds may have to be the go.......

We had bunk beds as kids too. I broke my collar bone, but only because I was being a silly bugger and trying to climb up without using the ladder.

My nieces have bunk beds and Heidi the oldest one was sleeping on the top at 4 and they have had no trouble at all.