Thread: Buy the kid a PONY??

Default Buy the kid a PONY??

I have just received an invitation to my friends daughters 1st birthday party. On the bottom it reads " a donation to my pony fund is preferred over a present". OMG!!!

The kid is ONE!, I'm pretty sure she's not talking yet - has she piped up "muuuummmy, buy me a pony???

they are not horsey people either, they don't have the room. O.K, O.K obviously this is a long term thing and they aren't going to buy for a while yet, but come ON!!

How do you know she is even going to want a pony??? Is just me, but I think the whole thing is rude and presumtious (?). what do you think???

Sounds like the mother is trying to fill her childhood fantasy of having a pony. I remember wanting a pony when I was a child. Definitely seems a bit strange considering the child is only 1.

Love

WOW I wouldn't even think of doing that until I knew for sure she would be interested in ponies for a longer term ykwim

OMG at someone wanting you to give them money towards a PONY for a 1 year old. They may never like ponys.

I would go and buy her a My Little Pony.

Kimberley loves ponys but we would not start to put money away or even think about buying her one.

I'm going to buy her a big, yellow Tonka Truck.! DD got one for her 1st and she loved it to death.

Yep DD has wanted a pony for years - I said of course you can have a pony, but I want you to go to the paddock with Jess (her gf) when she does and you can help her look after her pony so you understand what you need to do for them. Jess has her pony in a paddock very close to us, but DD never bothered to go. Exactly as I thought!!!

My dad always said i could have a pony or horse once i stopped growing as i was always at the stables. But i never got my pony or horse.

You are right kids grow out of these things so quickly.

I love the yellow Tonka Truck idea.

I have to kind of go against the tide here. I can't imagine not getting a pony for Yasin and teaching him to ride. I honestly can't remember a time when I wasn't confident on horseback and if I didn't give Yasin the same oppurtunity I would feel a bit guilty . That said - there is no need to buy a pony before you're sure that a child enjoys riding since the cost of keeping a pony and the cost of weekly lessons on a riding school pony are about equal.
    Ponies can be expensive so if the mother is horse crazy like me it seems a good idea and I think that I might nick it. Please don't hate me. 8-[ O
    *me sneaks off to amend Yasin's website so that it amkes maention of the pony fund*

No I agree with you about being horse-mad, but they AREN"T, so that's why I think it's so silly.
    The thing I most object to is having it on the invitation like that, asking for money. Really crass.
    If you would prefer not to receive certain types of toys and stuff I understand, not this!

If DD had taken a practical interest, I certainly would have bought her a pony/horse, as I think that would be a passion I would like her to have, but no unfortunatley!

Yeah LuLu its does seem strange for a 1 y.o. I'd definitely stick with the Tonka Truck. She probably would enjoy it more anyway.

Default reply

What LULU, are you telling me the first words out of your mouth weren't MUMMY BUY ME A PONY???????? LOL :-s

Melinda Guest

Wow. That's pretty amazing. I wouldn't have thought you would entertain such an idea when you don't yet know where your child's interests lie! They might HATE horses!! Personally I'd prefer to let Jacob find his own interests rather than have mine forced on him, but obviously things that I am interested in are things that are talked about in the house and he is therefore more likely to experience IYKWIM (so I know where you're coming from there Dachlostar).

I agree with you too Jillian - personally I don't like the idea very much of giving money as a gift as everybody gives different amounts and it ultimately can feel a little bit uncomfortable for the gift-giver!!

When I first read this I thought - it has got to be a joke!! They can't seriously be saving up for a pony can they?? As far as I'm concerned the only thing you should be putting money aside for this early (come off it - she's only ONE!) is their education/college fund!!!

LMAO!! Nadia!!

Hell yeah they were probably my first words, and EVERY year if anyone asks what I want for Xmas I always say a pony!

Methinks you know me well my friend!!!