Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a better baby carrier that Baby Bjorn ?

Fruitwood Guest

Default Can anyone recommend a better baby carrier that Baby Bjorn ?

Hi, I really like using my baby bjorn carrier around the house as it's really handy to do the housework etc. My problem is that my daughter is now 7 kilos and with the baby bjorn carrier there is no support for my lower back or shoulders. Since her growth spurt the carrier really pulls my top half forward so that I end up with really sore shoulders and rib pain. We've tried adjusting it and my daughter really loves it but she's just too heavy for me to use this carrier any longer than 20 minutes or about 10 minutes of hanging the clothes out. I'm planning on flying home to Adelaide on my own soon and would really like to have her in a carrier so that my hands are free for the trip and going to the toilet etc. Can anyone recommend a carrier which has more support for the back and shoulders ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help
    Sharon

Hi Sharon, have you had a look at the Hug-A-Bub's? They are very supportive, have a look in the baby sling thread in gentle parenting. I used the Hug-A-Bub until Matilda was around 8-9 months or 10kg.

Most people on the forum would probably recommend Hug a Bub. I also have one but yet to use it as my baby isn't here yet, but everyone seems to rave about them, as it does what you are after with the support etc.

Love

I can vouch for that. I have a terrible back and I can wear the HAB for ages with no problem. The beauty of it is that it can be easily adjusted to accommodate the child as it grows ... you just tie to suit. Easy care too ... can just be thrown in the machine if it gets dirty.

Definitely go the HAB! Kynan is now about 10.2kg and I can still comfortably carry him in it for hours.

Sal Guest

Ooh will definitely get the HAB for #2. I hate the Baby Bjorn (as does DH as does DS). And even though I got the one with extra back support it doesn't do anything. But then my bub is a big bub...

I borrowed a Hug a bub from Melbel & it is awesome, Indah was too squashed in a borrowed baby bjorn... I have just recently bid & won (is it really a win?) on Ebay a HAB... Indah is approx 9kgs now & is really comfy in the HAB for extended periods!

Sal, Matilda was quite big and I have a bad back which is how I wound up with the HAB. I tried on other carriers when PG and liked the idea of slings better, but I needed something supportive and found the one armed ones not good for my back...so thats why I wound up with the HAB.

jbie Guest

the hugabub sounds great - the lower back support seems vital to me! i'm surprised so many brands don't have it..
    anyway choice put out a little review on a couple of brands; they do mention which do and don't have lower back support (or waist support):

Fruitwood Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I've checked out the hug a bub website but i'm not sure that I would find wearing that much material wrapped around me very comfortable up in Nth Qld where the humidity can really be a problem. The price is also a little more than I can afford to pay at the moment. Thanks also for the choice article jbie, it seems the tester didn't find any of the carriers really comfy, lol. I'll keep looking around and asking people, lol. I'll probably just end up keeping my baby bjorn as everything I've looked at is really expensive. Thanks again for your help.

angelfish Guest

Mothers Direct sells a few different slings, and one of them is designed to keep baby and mum cool. I have used this kind of sling for up to about 12kg, but I'm not sure whether everyone could because I'm a big/tall person.

I love the Cool clip on sling that Mothers Direct have. I think it would be perfect for up in Townsville as well. I let mine to my SIL when she was living in Mt Isa & she thought it was great also. be worth checking it out.

as far as slings go, i love the Baba sling, I want to get one with next bub. - have a look at their website, I dont like all the material on the HAB's either, especially if you are wearing something nice and dont want to cover it up too much. I like the Baba sling because it has clips, not rings like some of them do, and it has padding etc, not just a stretch bit of material

My friends swear by HAB When I have a bub I'll definietly give it a go

Debbie Lee Guest

I'm another one that swears by the hug-a-bub... I got mine when Gab was about 4 months old (from memory) and I wish I had bought it earlier. It was invaluable! I'll be using it stacks more when I have another bub.

Fruitwood Guest

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to check out ebay and see what I can find on there in my price range. I really love the baby bjorn as I find it so easy to get on and off and my daughter loves it. If It had more support for the lower back then it would be perfect, lol.

Thanks again.

I used my baby bjorn for about 9 months but found my back just got too sore after a little while. Recently got a hug-a-bub from ebay and am kicking myself that i didn't get one ages ago. Its so versitile with different ways to hold bub, simple to use, small to carry...it just folds up in a little sack and as the weight is distributed evenly i don't get sore. DD just loves being it it too

Sal Guest

Hi Fruitwood, do you have the Baby Bjorn Active? It has more back support. I am selling mine, Miles hates being in there.

I have ordered an Ergo sling. They look great and take a bub up to 25kg, including being able to wear them on the front, on the back and on the hip. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast