Thread: Can cradle cap cause hair loss?

Default Can cradle cap cause hair loss?

Hi, my DD is four weeks old and in the last two days she has lost all of the hair on the top of her head - she looks like George Costanza!!

I have also noticed that the top of her head is quite dry, could this be cradle cap? Can this cause her hair loss? I thought cradle cap was on the back of babies heads - from their head resting in the cot??

cradle cap tends to be kind of crusty and flaky, not just dry, but it can cause bubs to lose some hair.
    On the other hand, a lot of babies seem to lose their first hair anyway, so it could be completely unrelated.
    hth

I agree. Im a hairdresser and babies do lose that newborn hair anyway, on any part of the head, and will grow back in patches as well. If its dry maybe rub a little olive oil onto it to give it a bit of moisture. Cradle cap has a yellowy tinge to it and thick crusty chunks on the scalp ( best way to describe it) if its just dry it will be like dandruff flaky skin. I would use olive oil, its natural and the skin will drink it up. Then just gently remove any bits that are coming off. Hopefully it will calm down within a few days of trying this.
    Last edited by Lozza; July 9th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

My baby didnt have Cradle cap but lost nearly all the hair on top and also looked like George Costanza- some babies just lose their NB hair. Now at almost 8 months she does have a little cradle cap but her hair is lovely and thick. I agree with Lozza and to try a bit of olive oil if it does look dry- it cant hurt
    Hoody

Yes it does cause hair loss. My little boy got it when he was around the same age ( still does have it) and he lost his hair on the sides of his head. It's just something you have to keep looking after. I hate it cause he is such a gorgeous baby (well....he is my son, I can say that can't I???? ) and it just looks horrible. I can't wait until he gets more hair and you can't notice it as much!!!
    Last edited by rustygirl; July 10th, 2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo

Babies will lose their birth hair - so take a lock of hair now, it's different to what will grow later.
    If its cradle cap, it will feel quite oily? Least Pip's did. We tried everything - olive oil, bicarb, moisturiser ... ended up the only thing that worked for Pip was a walnut body scrub from the body shop that I'd use very gently on his scalp during his bath.