Thread: Cant Take much more.

Unhappy Cant Take much more.

My 18th month old is apparently teething.

For the last 6 days she has been a absolute nightmare and i really cant take much more. DH has been at work 24/7 basically so i get no help.

I get about a good half anhour every now and then but that is it. She is just screaming and screaming. I know this sounds bad but there is only so much screaming i can take.

She wont eat what i give her, throws anything i offer her striaght back at me. hits me when she gets inconsoliable.

I have tried letting her show me what she wants but she will pick something , then decide 2 min later nope dont want it.

She is cutting all 4 of her K9 teeth at once, and has already cut her molars.

I have went and literally brought out the local chemist in every single product they have for teething but nothing helps.

I tired even ringing my family in tears this afternoon and got well we are to busy.
    No one will help and i seriously ust want to get in my car and drive far away.

I dont want to yell but i dont know what else to do, its not her fault she is in pain.

I have taken her to the drs and there is nothing her can find wrong.

HOw do i get through this???

Echhh.. you poor thing. I'm going through a rough patch myself with my 14 month old.
    Wanna swap?
    Seriously though, there isn't much more you can do, I alternate panadol and nurofen when pain is really bad, and also use SM33 - sometimes that just isnt enough and he wants to be carried all the time. So I got a Bubba Moe sling (can use them until they are like 16kg) and just carry him around, take him outside, talk to the birds on trees, any distraction I can.
    :hugs: for you cos I know what its like. I'd like to drive away too. Without him in the backseat preferably!!!!

I would love to carry her around but i am 39 week pg and yeah my back just cant handle it.

Def dont want to swap thankyou. I just want my little girl back, she was so happy and placid before really great child. (not that she isnt now i love her to bits but ykwim) I hope your little one gets better

what is SM33???

I Have also been alternating panadol and nurophen but she has been gaging and spitting it back up it horrible to have to pin her down for it

:hugs: It's a really tough time, especially since they can't tell you what to do to help & there's nothing you can do to stop the pain.

I used the panadol & nurofen with my DD through teething & it did help, every child is different though but it's worth a try I say!

It's even worse when you're on your own (DH is at work 24/7). Is there anyone who could give you a small break?? Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles? I know when I'm fed up with DD's crying etc somebody in my family usually doesn't find the crying so bad because they haven't had it constantly for days on end so they're happy to take her to give me a small break.

I wish I could come over & give you a break myself, I can totally relate to how you're feeling. (I was a single mum when my DD went through teething...)

I hope things calm down for you soon, poor little bubba aswell as poor mummy!

SM33 is a teething gel that numbs the area - its better than bonjela apparently. works for us. Sometimes we only need to dab that on, and no other drugs are needed. Anything is worth a shot.
    We play a game with the panadol to get him to take it. DH lifts him up and down and around and throws his head back, and when he does, I pop up and shoot the panadol down his throat before he realises whats going on. And for some reason, he loves the taste of nurofen, so I actually give him their special syringe thing, and he sucks the medicine out himself. Bizarre child, I know.
    Oh well, I can hear mine crying. Gotta go. Whereabouts do you live? Maybe there is someone on BB that can help out for an arvo or something?

Definatley the nurofen/panadol combo.... you can take nurofen every 8 hours and panadol every 4 so alternate, panadol then 4 hours later nurofen, 4 hours nurofen... thats what the hospital said for me to do when DD had tonsilitis... now I do it when she is sick or teething bad... also bongela on all gums... as often as needed.

HUGS babe, I know how you feel, I have a 3week old who gets inconsolible and wont settle for hours and although I have my mum around, its still hard in the middle of the night, I have called her in tears numerous times over the last few weeks... Just think as soon as these teeth cut through, you will have your little girl back.

PS Good Luck with the arrival of #2!!!

Not sure what you can do re the teething apart from just soldier through it, it will get better eventually.

Re the panadol.. it tastes grose i dont blame them! But you can get the same thing as panadol but called Dymadon and its orange flavour. Just tastes like orange tic tacs. At one point for quite a few months DS wouldnt take the siringe, so would work if i gave it to him on a spoon. Otherwise you can add it to a cup of water if need be.

Have you tried her with teethers?
    I suppose all you can really do, apart from all the numbing things is just be there for her and give lots of cuddles.

Best of luck!

Nazela Guest

I know how you feel - i also have a hubby who works 24/7 (6am to 2.30am) and what i found to help us was besides the nurofen & bonjela is having warm baths together - even at 4am .
    At first she was a little whingy but after a few games then comforting words/songs they usually settle down.

Then we co sleep on the couch together (its not much sleep for me, but knowing she is sleeping somewhere different usually worked (with her lying on top of me)
    Last edited by Nazela; March 20th, 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo

Will grab some dymadom i reckon shortly.

Am just eating and about to head out for a walk, hoping that will calm her down.

Will try the bath thing, sounds nice!!!

Thanks

HOney

get some panamax double strength for kids, its available from the chemist and you have to ask for it It will not only give her the pain relief she needs, it will knock her out and let her get some of the sleep she's been missing out on. AND its fast working. Im going through the same in my house atm and totally forgot about panamex..I used it on my 2 boys so im off to the chemist th is morning to get some

You poor chicken. You must be so exhausted. If you lived up my way Id take her off your hands just so you could get so RNR.

Go and get some and get some rest matie...

You could also try Panadol suppositories if she won't take it orally. Not overly pleasant I know but they work a treat and quickly too. They're about $10 at the chemist.

OH suppositories!!! Never even thought of them.

You girls are gold!!!!

Maz- Will have to wait til tomorrow for panamax, public holidays.

Well luckily her dad is home for the day so he cant help out!!

I got to sleep in this morning so hopefully now witht hat under my belt i should be a bit more patient.

Thought i did get a kiss thism orning, nice big lick and thats the first time she has really done that so i am guessing she is feeling a bit better

was going to mention the suppositries

Also quick tip about Bonjella/SM33 - a very smart friend of mine told me to apply it to their gums with a toothbrush - ie use it like toothpaste - it gets to the spot and gives them relief all at the same time - less gagging on fingers also

GOOD LUCK - i have suffered the teething baby also - so I can feel your pain