Thread: Capsule/Toddler seat combo or Convertible birth to 18kgs?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Capsule/Toddler seat combo or Convertible birth to 18kgs?

Hello all new mothers!

I thought this may be the best place to ask:

It is highly likely that I will not be having another child after this baby. For this reason, I was thinking of getting a covertible car seat that would be used from birth to approx 4 years.

However, for the cost of a good convertible, I could get a capsule-type seat (I'm looking at the Babylove Primo 6 in 1) and another decent car seat from 6 months and up. Plus the capsule would serve as a rocker/feeding station/carrier all in one to start with, so I wouldn't need to buy one of those seperately. Obviously the downside would be that once baby is over 6 months, I won't have any more use for it!

My question is, has anyone here used a capsule/toddler seat combo or just the one convertible seat, and would be able to share the pros and cons of both?

When I last had my children, convertibles weren't even heard of! (Not really, they were starting to come out, but were very very expensive) so I used the same Safe and Sound capsule for all three, and when they got older, moved them to toddler seats.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

love
    sushee

I have a safe and sound convertible seat which I have found to be good. You could always hire a capsule if you want, then you only have to buy the car seat.

Bon

Good tip from Bon, hire the capsule and then buy the convertible carseat. We only bought the convertible, because as we had more kids, they were big enought to move on to the booster when the baby arrived.

happy seat shopping

sherieb

We've bought a convertible car seat.. but of course.. haven't used it yet! Keep in mind that a converted car seat takes up much more room and may not fit in your car. I think it's only JUST going to fit in ours, and we'll be sitting nice & close to the dashboard for a few months (like little old ladies! LOL) The alternative will be to put it behind the passenger seat and one of us will just have to sit in the back with bubs. But I'm hoping we'll be able to put it in the middle, as it's meant to be the safest position.

We were tossing up whether to use a capsule or not, but didn't want to spend the extra money just for those first 6 months. Of course, if we find the converted car seat too uncomfortable for us, we may just hire a capsule... that's meant to be really cheap, and save the seat for just a toddler seat.

As for the facing the backwards thing until they're bigger than 8kg... OMG... if they're anything like me, they'll be soooooo car sick travelling backwards! LOL.

Using the Safe N Sound convertable here. I found I did not miss out of the carry, rocker etc abilities that you mentioned with the capsule. Our pram came with a bassinet attachment, so it was great for a portable bed. As for carrying, most of the time, we put bubs in the sling. For a rocker/feeder, we use the Safe N Sound Hi lo chair. It has a recline option for young babies. Bubs really loves to be put to sleep in it, but being pushed back and forth.

Astrid

We have a convertible car seat as well and Sammy loves it..its nice and comfy for him...though I was a bit envious of a friend at school who was using one of the older style capsules...cos it was so much easier doing the school drops at school not having to get bubs out.

Jo

A Convertible here too, I put Indah straight into sling when we go out, or in pram if she wants to sleep...

Kirsty77 Guest

Yep we have a convertible here to and Gem loves it.I do envy the mums though that have the capsules cause like Jo said they can get their bubs out without waking them!

Pietta Guest

I love our 0-4 year old car seat. I never had a prob without a capsule- i never ever used one. We just had an awesome pram that was mighty comfy for Ryley!!

The good thing about ours is that you can add or take out cushioning to suit the size of your Bubba!!

Sushee we used the BabyLove Primo until Zander was just past 5months old then we got a Safe N Sound Maxi Rider.

I loved the Primo because it meant that we could get Zander in & out of the car without waking him up. Are you thin king of getting the pram that goes with it? I would definately reccommend the 4 wheeled one, which is what we have. My parents have the 3 wheeled one & it's a nightmare, it's waaay too wide for shops & just a general pain in the bum.

The Maxi Rider is a convertible booster seat & can be used from 8kg up to 24kg (which is pretty much from 6 months til they stop needing it). It's only forward facing, but it does recline a little bit. Zander was heavy enough for it at 5months, but was still a little shorty which worried me, but he has been fine it. It's really easy to put in & out of the car if you need to & once they hit I think 14kg you just take the baby straps out and use the normal seatbelt.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Thanks, everyone. for your replies.

Like Sarah, I'm pretty sure that I'll end up with a Babylove Primo, then change to a toddler seat at around 6 months too. My sister has a convertible seat for her DD and everytime she wants to take baby out for even a few mins, say to duck into the shops or even to go to church, she's had to wake baby. Plus she, and I, used a rocker for all our kids when they were wee and if the Babylove Primo doubles as one anyway, it'll mean I won't have to fork out for a rocker as well.

The other consideration is the fact that so many of the convertibles are not meant for small cars. With a Corolla hatchback, my car isn't tiny, but I would still need to buy a seat to fit the car, not necessarily buy the seat I wanted.

I haven't looked at getting the pram to suit, Sarah. DH is very much in charge (in his own mind) of getting the pram and he's partial to the Bertini Sport Shuttle, so unless I can change his mind...

love
    sushee