Thread: car seat seems wobbly?

Default car seat seems wobbly?

Hi,

We have just installed our new S&S convertible car seat and it seems very wobbly/unstable? We followed instruction perfectly so I'm assuming this is normal.

Anyone else worry about this with their car seat?

ALicia xx

Have you tried sitting in it to help tighten the straps ?
    I always try and sit in ours to get everything tight enough.
    Also what part of the car have you fitted it too ?
    I could never put a car seat in the middle of our old car as it would wobble so i always used to sides.

Hi Alicia,

We had ours S&S Meridian professionally installed (in the rear facing position) by one of the RTA approved fitters. He solved the wobbliness by padding with a small folded towel. He put it between the safety bar (the one that's at the feet end of the S&S seat) and the back of the passenger seat . Does that make sense? I can take a picture of it for you if it doesn't make sense?

I used to lie on top of Milos when it was rearward facing, to get it tighter.

I am having a lot of trouble now that its upright, because our station wagon has a regular strap in the middle, not a lap/sash, and I don't know how to get it tight enough

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Nup it shouldn't feel very wobbly or unstable. Try leaning or sitting on it like the other girls have said whilst you or your DH pull on the strap. Is the seatbelt tight arround it (if it's done that way), I always pull it really and the pull it quickly at the top to lock it in iykwim? If it's still wobbly maybe get it professionally fitted and ask them to show you how they did it?

yeah - I would go suggest going to someone and getting them to check it out. We had a rolled up bunny rug under the stabilising bar to hold it nice and firm.
    it shouldn't be wobbly, so its woth having a closer look.

I had a friend have the same trouble, and aparently she took it to the local fire station (of all places) and they charge a small fee, to fit it securely for you. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty EW
    Hi Alicia,

We had ours S&S Meridian professionally installed (in the rear facing position) by one of the RTA approved fitters. He solved the wobbliness by padding with a small folded towel. He put it between the safety bar (the one that's at the feet end of the S&S seat) and the back of the passenger seat . Does that make sense? I can take a picture of it for you if it doesn't make sense?

Hi there we had the S&S Compaq installed and same they solved the wobbliness by a small folded towl between the saftey bar and the back of the back seat (as our carseat is reversable). This was done by RTA approved installer.

Bel
    xxx

Debbie Lee Guest

Yep... get your knee right into it and put all your weight into the seat. Tighten the car seatbelt strap (not the anchorage strap) as tight as it will go.

Otherwise, as the other's have said, get the pro's to install it (and show you while they do it).

Not sure if it is in all states, but in SA the Red Cross Safety Shops have a free option to take your car/car seats to have them checked......I usually make a small donation, as I get mine checked regularly (cos I am paranoid and I don't trust DH!!)

I changed cars last week and the car yard where I bought my new car installed the kids car seats, so my first stop was the Red Cross, JIC.........