Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars with central locking *WARNING*

Sarah huge hugs for you and Zander. I'm glad that every thing worked out ok!

Oh Sarah what a horrible situation for you and Zander and a really good warning too cause I do the same thing with my keys
    And thanks for that tip Bec.

Sarah I'm glad you're both ok. A very similar thing happened to me when my DD was 8 months old. Summer in Caboolture is not pretty, but luckily we were in an undercover shopping centre carpark. I had just buckled her in to her seat, and a guy tried to get into the car next to me. I put my keys down on the seat to move out of the way while he got in to his car, but he said thanks and shut my car door. It was locked, my keys were inside, no spare set and 38 degrees even in the shade. I made the man give me 40 cents (mobile, purse were inside the car too) and I ran up into the shops and called RACQ who said they'd be five minutes. I called out to Security and asked if they could come help me.

The stupid girl at the information counter interpreted this to mean, "Lady's problem is fixed, would be really helpful of me to call and CANCEL RACQ callout".

Security guy couldn't break in with a coathanger. 10 minutes later and Gabrielle was starting to scream and go pink. I didn't know the girl had cancelled the RACQ callout, but I couldn't wait any longer to get my baby out and so just smashed the front window.

I was livid when Security checked with the information desk to find out what had happened to the RACQ guy. DH was also furious and called them when he got home from work that night.

Will never forget that feeling of helplessness, and I, too, balled when Gabrielle was finally in my arms inside the airconditioned shops drinking cool water.

I now am really conscious of keeping my keys on me and my phone in my pocket/bag until I am in the car myself. I hope it never happens again.

Sorry, just re-read that and it sounds all about me. But reading your story brought it all back, even though it was 4 years ago.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

OMG Sarah you poor thing sweety... I could just feel the mummy anxiety building up from reading that - and I would have taken the heads off those first two blokes!!! I am glad all is okay now, but I bet your heart skipped a few beats...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Definately skipped a few Kelly!

Christine that's just nuts that the information desk lady cancelled RACQ on. I know how scary it was & the weather wasn't too hot, can't imagine how bad it would be like in the hot weather you had. to you.

Awww Brooke did I ever tell you what a legend you are

That's very true Brooke.

Sarah, I was shutting the car door today and I thought about you and the locking scenario. Put the keys in my pocket!!!

LOL It's hard trying to do change something you've been doing for months isn't it?!

Sarah that must have been horrible for you.

I'm pleased that everything was okay in the end and you got Zander out of the car quickly.

I also make sure i have my keys in my hands or in a pocket. Something i have always done just in case.

Good thinking Brooke, might just have to go & get me a lanyard!

sonsangel Guest

Before DS came along I used to always do that. The worst one was when I dropped a video off, left the car running, radio on and shut the door only slightly. It came to be the only reason I was calling RACV was to get them to get my keys out of the car. Un to 6 times a year, :shock:

Anyway, I can imagine the terror that was going through you at the time and just want to say that it can happen to any one of us.
    I ended up slipping my keys in my bra when I don't have any pockets, because there was no where else to put them.

I, like you, need to invest in a lanyard too. I still don't have one, but now pumpkin is on it's way the shopping, putting kids in car, pram etc will only get more busy.

Thanks for reminding me that I do need to get one.
    Big hugs, you did everything right in that situation. There's no-one else who can get into a car in under a minute that I know of other than the RACV/NRMA.

We drive a ute with no central locking, so thankfully this wont happen to us! But gosh Sarah - that must have been absolutely terrifying. And great to know 000 gets you there in a hurry if required.

On a side issue - I always leave a door open with Jenna in the car - I'm paranoid about circulation, and I have a springy bracelet on my keys so usually I hook them around my wrist.

To be honest - I think I would have just smashed the window in. I wouldn't have been able to think in this circumstance! Poor Zander and poor you.

oh Sarah, how awful for both of you - and how easy it can happen! You poor thing. I am so glad both of you are all right.

Hugs to you honey!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12