Thread: CD Players In Their Rooms.

Question CD Players In Their Rooms.

DD1 loves listening to music, we have it on all day, the TV is off by 10am (not that she really watches it anyway) and then music is put on.

So i am kind of sick of her wiggles and hi-5 cd's playing on random in the lounge (we can't seem to get clear radio reception and we alternate b/w hers and my CD collection), i suggested to DP we should get her a CD player for her room, something to sit up high, i can put it on she can play in there and dance around. NO he said she's too little.

So MIL asked what to get the girls for X-Mas.. sneaky me said a CD player each.. and she wants to for the same reasons as me, they can listen to their own stuff and i mean really it encourages them to dance, sing and enjoy themselves.

So what do you think, are they too young? Do your children have Cd's players?

DD1 will be 2 by X-mas and DD2 will nearly be 1, they will not be there as 'toys' they will be up high and I will be changing the CD's and controlling the volume.

MIL is happy to spend the money on a decent one, one that will last them a couple of years, any brands you suggest.
    I am not exactly into the 'themed' kids stuff like Barbie etc, what if they grow out of it or never like barbie and it wont particularly 'match' with things in their rooms.

TIA

I think its a great idea. We had one but put it down low and obviously it didnt last long. Its also good for some soft night music. Cant recommend any brand though.

I have one in DDs room, she just doesnt know what it is Atm I use it for her Music for Dreaming CD, and then when she is older, I guess we will use it for other fun music. I dont think there is anything wrong with them having a CD player, and if its out of their reach, then they wont be able to use it without your permission.

Hth

Eta - The one we have is a Sanyo from Kmart. Think it was about $60, and its pink!

It's a great idea, both my kids have one! They love soft night time music so I put 'music for dreaming' on for them and they both fall asleep to that. DD also plays her wiggles CD on it. She is three and can use it herself now and I trust her not to break it. But until she turned 3 it was kept out of reach and I controlled it for her.

DD has a purple sanyo one and DS has a black one. Not sure how much they were as they were both given by grandparents as Christmas gifts!

My eldest DD got one from my Mum for her birthday a few years ago and it was the best thing EVER!! They thought they were so awesome sitting in their room listening to music. One tip from me though - whatever CD's you have for her, burn a copy of it onto a new disc and only let her play the copy - the girls ruined a few of their CD's by rough handling and leaving out of the covers so I got wise and burnt them all and only let them have those ones. I did have to make a few copies because they got the copies scratched too but that's not as big a deal as ruining the original one.

i think it's a great idea too!!

DS has an iPod & a dock for it, that way there is no worry about having to change CDs all the time It is a bit more expensive if you have to buy one, but then again you can get fairly cheap MP3 players these days, doesn't have to be an iPod specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    My eldest DD got one from my Mum for her birthday a few years ago and it was the best thing EVER!! They thought they were so awesome sitting in their room listening to music. One tip from me though - whatever CD's you have for her, burn a copy of it onto a new disc and only let her play the copy - the girls ruined a few of their CD's by rough handling and leaving out of the covers so I got wise and burnt them all and only let them have those ones. I did have to make a few copies because they got the copies scratched too but that's not as big a deal as ruining the original one.

We were going to do this with DVD's til my DVD shrink died. but i will do it with her CD's i have bought a few things off i-tunes which has been good cos it's there to copy whenever i need it.

Sarah, we've moved onto ipods as well LOL - can take them anywhere that way.

Great idea, my DS1 has had a CD player in his room from day one, as does DS2 now. They at the start are for music to help them sleep, DS1 loves his music sooo much that now every night he has the radio going. It was up high until he was old enough to use it himself, it's also great now for Story book CD's.........if I have to BF DS2 at bed time we all sit in there & listen to a story book. Also he's been known to go in & turn it up and just dance around & have a ball........so I have I LOL! I got nice, small white one's for only $30 at our bargain shop & they have been great. There are lots out there that are all funky & made for kids but don't plug in, they only run on batteries so watch out for that or you will be forever replacing them.
    I too am about to move to the ipod for DS1, he's getting my old ipod & i've got the Toy story CD/ipod player on layby at Target....I'm not usually into character stuff but this plugs in & is CD & ipod so does everything we need.

My DD has one and never uses it. She got it for her 5th birthday. She prefers her iPod. And luckily the CD player has an iPod dock.

SugarDust Guest

DS1 has had a CD player in his room since he was one! We used it to help him settle at night!
    DS2 also has had one since he was 1!
    DS3 hasn't got one yet but we will get him one for Christmas!

Any brand is good just don't have it low enough for the kiddies to play with!!!

Yep..I used to it help him sleep at night. When he used to wake up in the night he would put the music on to settle himself back to sleep.
    My kids love Justine Clarke, Angela and Penny's Holiday, The Night Garden and The Mudcakes.
    We got one from Target that is easy use.

I second the iPod dock with CD player. And defnitely don't go with the themed kids products, more expensive, less quality and they are more likely to try and get to it.
    Weuse the iPod dock, the CD player and the radio most days and every night. Great investment!

Thanks everyone, i think it will just be a nice basic CD player for around $50 as MIL is paying for it, we don't have i-pods (although i would love one) so no point getting one at this stage for the girls and i doubt MIL would buy one, a little exy.
    Will have to keep our eyes peeled.

Ds had one from the time he was born, though when we moved to this house, it got damaged. I got it for christmas about 12 years ago, so it had done really well.

Now he has cd player, with am/fm radio and ipod dock. I got it from Big W off the markdown rack. It was marked down from $80 something to $40, all because the box was damaged! Best bargain ever! I've gotta get him an mp3 player - a cheap one - otherwise, I just pop my iphone in there.