Thread: chamomile tea

maggie Guest

Default chamomile tea

hi

my chiro suggested yest to give my 9week old chamomile tea. has anyone used this to help settle their babies

Maggie my paed suggested it for DD who was about that age for constipation . When I mentioned it to the MCHN she said it was only the older paeds that recommend this and it isnt advised all that much. It didn't make alot of difference.
    Bec

Hi Maggie,
    If you are breastfeeding and drink Chamomile tea, I have heard this can flow through to the babies too in a small amount and help with calming.
    I would be pretty careful - perhaps you would be better off trying a naturopathic concoction to calm?? There are some good ones out there.

maggie Guest

Hi, checked woith my chiro again, and she said to give it to DS (9weeks) very week, but is it safe?

Hi Maggie

I come from a european background where chamomile tea is used to treat anything and everything from eye infections/conjuctivitis to upset tummies to constipation. Personally I think a lot of it is an old wives tale but upon saying that I still use it!

I should think it would be safe persay (sp?) provided you use it in a very diluted mix. I would boil up a cup of water and dip the teabag in once or twice and thats it. Then obvioulsy cool it down. This is not based on any medical evidence and I sure there will be some people who are against it. I am just basing it on personal family experience.

I do know that my SIL recently got I think it was a Brauers mix from her chemist for constipation in her newborn.

i give Theo chammomile tea at bedtime or when he is teething i just use a teeny bit in boiling water then dilute it again with cooled boiled water though i dont think i gave it to him untill 4 months i dont see why it would hurt if it was very mild
    i have used chammomile tea bags to clean gunky eyes in kids and animals (apparently black tea is good too) and it works well and have also put cold wet chamomile teabags on puffy eyes that have been crying or havent slept much and it is great