Thread: Changing MCH Nurse..how do I?....

Question Changing MCH Nurse..how do I?....

My MCHN is a bit of hard work and I don't think it should be like that. Maybe I'm fussy but she doesn't seem all that interested, I ask all the questions, she asks the one's she has to ask and that's it. I've talked to one of the girls at MG who has her too and she agrees, her words were "it would be nice to be remembered - how hard is it to check the computer 1 minute before I walk in the door".

She tends to brush off my concerns (like Izzy's eczema - which I went to the Dr about and now after 2 days of cortisone is completely cleared up and she isnt scratching and miserable) and makes me feel a bit patronised.

So how do I tell the receptionist that I would like to see one of the other nurses? Do I lie and say I can't go on certain days - or should I just come straight out and say I would like to see someone else? I hate doing stuff like this but I really don't want to see this lady for the next 4 years Plus I'm worried about seeing her there after I change over too. Arrgghh.

HELP!!!!

Hi,

I'm in Bendigo so it might be a little different. But my mum is the boss of all the MCHN's here and she said that you can change at any time. You don't have to even tell that particular nurse. You should be able to arrange it all with your local council so I guess if you want to stay at that center and just see the other nurse call whoever runs the service in your area (probably local council) and ask them to arrange it as you don't feel comfortable speaking to her.

You can also provide them with some constructive criticism on the nurse. You might feel like your being mean but it is really important that you tell them of concerns that you have or that nurse might just slip under the radar and maybe not picking up on some important things babies are presenting with iykwim

I changed at 6 months, I loved my original MCHN then there was a total re-vamp of the clinics changing every nurse in our town. I went to another and just by turning up and having one of those quick natters to the MCHN she wanted E's dob and the clinic she was originally attending and had all the files transfered before my next appointment which was a week later. I never had to tell her why I just mentioned that this one was more convient. I'm sure if you rang and said the same thing it would save a trip down there
    Bec

What is a MCHN? How do you get one?

Artechim - My Maternal and CHild Health Nurse was allocated from birth by my local council. I'm not sure what other states do, but here all our check-ups are at a local Maternal and Child Health centre and I see the nurse for weigh in's etc!

Thanks for all of your replies- it gave me the confidence to call and the local co-ordinator will be calling me back to arrange it on Monday. I cancelled the 6 month check I have with the original nurse and the receptionist said it would be fine but had to go through the area co-ordinator as they have had lots of births lately!

So yay! I feel so much better about it and I'm sure whoever I get will hopefully show a bit more interest in my girl!

A MCHN is a Maternal and Child Health Nurse. They are called different things in different states. Evryone should be assigned to one after having a baby. They are organised through the local council and should call you sometime in the first week you are home out of hospital.

Tan, I would just ring your council and ask to see someone different. I know it's hard, but don't worry about seeing her around, you have to be happy with who you have appointments with. One of the girls in my MG changed nurses, I will ask her what she did. One of the local nurses is quite unpopular, I know a few people who have requested someone else. I was lucky enough not to be assigned to her, but someone at a different centre! However, I did see a replacement when my MCHN was away a month ago, and I was not at all impressed. In fact, I sent an email to DHS about it! They don't know unless you tell them, it's not being mean.

ETA That's great Tan, good on you! Hope your new nurse is lovely
    Last edited by Janie; November 16th, 2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Posted at the same time

A maternal health nurse, you are usually assigned to one in your area on discharge from hospital. If not look it up in the phone book under local government you will find all your local ones there

In QLD, you are not actually allocated one certain nurse. we just have health centres where you go for immunisations and can have Growth and Devlpment checks. Sounds like a great idea to be allocated one particular nurse though(if they are nice haha!!). Continuity of care is always important especially for us anxious Mums hey!!

Cool Tan. I was going to say, don't worry if you see her around when you go in to see your new nurse... Sounds like she won't remember who you are anyway