Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chemical in Baby Bottles

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Chemical in Baby Bottles

Hi All

I just saw something on the news regarding the chemical Bisphenol A found in some baby bottles.

Does anyone use a bottle that does not have this chemical in them? I would like to know what brand you think is best.

Thanks, I'm not in a state of panic, just probably prefer to switch now.

Belinda
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; April 20th, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Hi Belinda,

There are a few rands mentioned in this link here http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/news...ncer-link.html

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks for that. Do you know if Tommee Tippee use the safe plastic?

I use the pigeon ones and there is no mention of any chemical used (ie no number in a symbol on the bottle anywhere).
    So either they aren't disclosing it, or it doesn't get used....

oh and I just checked our Avent bottles and we don't have any symbol or number anywhere on our bottles.... strange??

~Belinda~ Guest

I have a 7 at the bottom on mine??
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; April 20th, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

i just checked all mine and i dont have any numbers on them. I got all mine last year in April. Maybe something to do with when they were manufactured?

Melissa - you may be onto something there - I brought mine last year too - probably between January and... uh.. maybe april or May? Before we switched to Pigeon anyway..

~Belinda~ Guest

I bought mine in December? Ooooh I am so going to Target tomorrow to look for Mam Ultivent's...I bet they will be all out!

mmmmmm. I use avent bottles and i bought mine in 2006 for first daughter and none of mine have any numbers on the bottom???? I have bought more new ones in 2007 as well for dd #2 and those have no numbers either. I am confused..... I think i will await for some scientific research before buying any new ones, it could be some scam or something so everyone spends more money????? Who no's

Jen

~Belinda~ Guest

Jen, good idea...better to wait isn't it? I can't help but worry a little though

I just looked up on the internet about it and this is what it says in brief:

"Bottles labelled with a 7 contain hormone disrupting bisephonal A or BPA," said UOIT professor of ecotoxicology, Dr. Douglas Holdway.
    The ban would affect only baby bottles and not other food containers made with bisphenol A (BPA).

I am wondering though if Australian standards allow our baby bottles to have this in them? It seems to be canada and over that way.

I'm going to look at my Avent bottles box now. Will post again if i find anything on it!

Jen

Okay, so I'm just wondering if they HAVE to label the bottles with the type of plastic used? My bottles (Avnet and Pigeon) don't have any symbols or numbers on the bottom of them........so does that mean I can assume they're safe? Or are they not labelled?

~Belinda~ Guest

it's strange because i thought all my avent bottles have a really small "7" on the bottom of them but they don't!!! i must have been seeing things. does everyone have a little circle though on the bottom of their avent bottles?

do you think it's best to wait to see if it's really that dangerous? i am seriously thinking of going out tomorrow and getting new bottles but i don't want to waste money if it turns out to be not that bad???

I have a circle on the bottom of mine and to be honest with you i would not go and buy all new bottles tomorrow just because the media have announced this on the news.
    My avent bottle box (the box the bottles came in) syas it is medical grade material
    * surpasses the most rigorous standards from regulatory bodies, worldwide.
    It also has awards galore all over the lid of the box like - mother and baby, practical parenting etc
    To be honest with you i am assuming that Australian standards are different to other countries therefore making the avent bottles sold in australia different to the ones sold in canada and the Us etc. the ones sold in canada and the us may be the ones that are made with the BPA. Maybe The Aust ones are not made with this BPA due to our standards.

Just wait for any further announcements and if it was really dangerous in Aust at the moment i am sure that they would have advised that the shelves will not have any avent bottles on them as of tomorrow etc etc. Like they do when something is found in meat they remove all of the items in case all of them are affected iukwim. Someone though please correct me if this has been announced!

But it is up to you if you will feel better and peace at mind for you in buying another brand bottle then go for it.

Jen

~Belinda~ Guest

Jen, no I definately agree with you. I think I should wait to see what happens, Avent bottles are not cheap and I have 6 of them!!

I think the media sometimes make it out to be worse than what it is. I am not doing anything unless the bottles are removed from the shelves and not to be sold to the public iukwim.

Your doing the right thing just makes me angry that the media makes all us mums worry over things when we all have enough worries with our little ones in either not eating, not sleeping, sick the list goes on. Lol

that this doesn't happen.

Jen

~Belinda~ Guest

Yes I agree Jen. And then if they recall them, can you imagine how many Mums out there will be buying the ones that don't have the chemical in them? You'd have to be quick because I doubt there would be any left on the shelves. Yes we all have enough to worry about. Sometimes the media really blow things up. Of course on the news tonight they said "this is not meant to scare mothers?" Yeah right...they are only our flesh and blood! Praying that it is no big deal.

Belinda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast