Thread: Child seats

Default Child seats

Hi Girls,

I have noticed Kaitlyns childseat is getting wobbly ....so I know it needs to be tightened. I have friends that have installed their own seats and adjust them as well but I have been told this is not good and it should be done by a professional. Is this true? and does anyone know if the RTA or NRMA a free adjustment as I dont want to pay for installation again!.

Thanks Cass

Melinda Guest

We've always had ours checked by the RACT if we have taken it out of the car for any reason, just to ensure that it has been put back in correctly. They have not charged us for this. We bought Jacob's seat from the RACT so we paid for the installation as part of the cost price, so I think that's why we haven't been charged again for any adjustment etc.....

Red Cross Safety Shops check it for you for free I think (our local one does)....maybe ring your local one and check?

Wow... I had no idea it needed to be adjusted by a professional every time... I had had to remove Aidyns carseat literally over 100 times, and always put it back myself... there's no way we could have gone to get it professionally done every one of those times!
    I used to always adjust the anchoring strap myself to make sure it was as tight as possible, but then I am pretty confident I was doing it correctly - so if you are unsure then yes, I would go and get it checked by someone. Maybe you can get someone there to teach you how to do it properly yourself?

We always get ours checked by RACT after it's been moved/repositioned too. We were told there's an official fee of $15 for adjustments but most of the time the guy doesn't bother with the payment. I got him to turn Kynan's carseat around today and it's the first time I've had to pay anything and the guy said $10 would be fine. It probably depends on where you go and who you get at the time.

WOW like Ambah I haven't had it checked everytime we've moved the car seat. & we've done it heaps. Ours is a bit wobbly so I may make an appt with RACQ to check it out for us.