Thread: child turning blue when crying

Default child turning blue when crying

hi,

my DS is 2 years old and for a while now we have noticed that when he hurts himself and cries he turns blue really quickly, it is after that initial scream after hurting himself and once he lets that long scream out and breathes in he pinks up again really quickly, what shocks me though is how quick he turns blue, it is literally seconds, is this something to worry about (im starting to worry there is a cardiac problem that he changes colour so quickly)

my DD who is 4 never changed colour like he does

thanks for any advice

oh gosh!! maybe get his lungs cheack coz that would just be lack of oxygen?? but prob worth consulting a gp
    good luck hunn

Some children are really prone to breath-holding episodes - I have seen some children who, when they are angry or hurt, will hold their breath until they pass out! But if you are worried, seeing your GP with him would be a great idea. Usually cardiac problems like that are easy to detect with a good listen to the heart, and maybe an ultrasound.

thanks for your replies, i think i will go and get him check out just for my peace of mind

A friends little boy used to do this - it frightened her no end.

Her dr told her to blow a puff of air at his face and it usually shocked/distracted him into taking a breath.