Thread: childhood rashes

Question childhood rashes

Hi all.

My son, who is two years old, has developed a rash over the last 24 hours, following a couple of weeks with a nasty cold/conjunctivitis/ear infection, which he was on antibiotics for for ten days. He is otherwise a healthy boy, and this is the first time he has ever had antibiotics (his last day taking them was saturday). He still has a bit of a runny nose/ is a bit chesty...but otherwise very happy, playing, eating, drinking, etc. The rash goes away when I press on it, so I'm not overly concerned. All doctors are booked out today (Melbourne weather!) and, although I'm not overly concerned, I'd like to have a bit of an idea of what it is most likely to be, as my sister is about 7 weeks pregnant, and has visited a few times in the last two weeks. I've spoken to the child health nurse over the phone this morning, and she said one possibility is measles...but he is immunised so that's not likely. She said it could be a reaction to his illness....and that it is not likely to be a reaction to the antibiotics, as that would probably show up sooner. I'm thinking maybe 'slap cheek'...he has a bit of a red area on each cheek, (one under an eye, the other closer to the jaw), and otherwise has a heat-type rash over his torso, back, face, behind his ears, and a bit on his arms, and even his hands, including his palms. Has anyone's child had something like that, and what was it? Thank you!

lisa-jay Guest

Hi Liana,
    it is absolutley possible for an immunised child to get measles.
    The other thing I was thinking was a reaction to the antibiotics?? I've seen it a few times on my niece and friends kids, etc. Although it did appear a few day into the medication. My kids got slap cheek, and they were bright red,and had a high temp for a few days. I'm under the impression (could be wrong) that it can be dangerous for newly pregnant mums, if they dont have immunity to it, but most of us do, so it may be worth getting that one checked with your sister.

Washing powder??

Hope you get it sorted.
    Lisax
    Last edited by lisa-jay; July 11th, 2006 at 11:26 AM.

It's also very normal for toddlers to get a mild rash in response to a number of viral infections.

A little friend of DD's was sent home from family daycare last week with a mild rash and a temp, her parents were told "non specific viral illness". Sure enough DD came out with it the next day (with a slight runny nose). It was gone a few days later.

Apparently toddlers get rashes for some viral infections that don't cause rashes in adults. If it's very light and not bothering him I would bet that's what it is. Hope it goes away soon

thanks guys

Yes, slap cheek is not good for pregnant mums, but it is no longer contagious if the rash has come out. I don't think it's measles, as he hasn't had a fever, and is happy, playing, eating, drinking, etc. A reaction to antibiotics is unlikely, as he has no other symptoms, and was taking them for ten days, with no reaction.

I'm now thinking it is probably just part of a virus, as he isn't getting any worse. He has gone down for his nap, and I'm hoping the rash will have faded a bit by the time he wakes up. I think it has faded from his face a bit...it's just still quite prominent on his torso, so I'll see. I wouldn't say it's a dark red rash or anything, it is light...it's just all over his torso though, so quite noticable (well, it's just like a heat rash, really).

Anyway, thank you very much for your advice, ladies - much appreciated!

oooh this sounds heaps like what happened to T last year ... he had toncilitis
    and was then put on pennicillin for it over the next few days he developed a splochy rash on his face which would appear strongly like he had been slapped then dissapear then 10 mins later on the other side of his face ... when i took him to the doctor OF COURSE it had gone completely and my doctor explained they hadnt had an outbreak of slap cheek in tassie for a long time

anyway just as we were leaving the doctor saw the rash appearing on him and said "oh thats an allergic reaction is he eating new foods?" i couldnt think what it was till i got home and immediately stopped the pennicillin .. he has never had it since

i hope your little man is feeling better

thank you very much! My little man is indeed much better - this morning his rash is just disappearing very fast! His cheeks looked worse on waking, but I think that was because of sleeping on them. Now it's all fading....and i feel so much calmer, as I was worrying all day yesterday, not only for him, but for my pregnant sister who had been in contact with him lately. Now I'm pretty sure it was just part of his virus, and not measles, for instance, as I think the rash will have come and gone within a 48-hour time frame. *deep breath*...can't wait for spring!!!