Thread: choking/gagging on solids....

Default choking/gagging on solids....

hey there everyone

Brodie has been on solids for about 6-8 weeks now and til now has been enjoying them very much, however since he has now turned 7months i have started to introduce him to some thicker/chunkier textured foods - i thought i'd start with the jar foods from 6 months to see how he would go, unfortunately this has turned out to be a bit of a saga.

When i offer him these foods - for example potato, beef and pumpkin premade food he seems to gag on the chunkier bits - rest asure the bits are not too chunky from what i can see however they seem to lodge in his throat and it causes him to choke somewhat and results in me 'freaking out".

has anyone endured this before - i have tried him on several other jar foods to see if it would make any difference however no such luck - i end up sticking the food in the blender with a splash of water and pureeing it.

Is this normal or do i have something further to worry about

PS - i have had to stick my fingers into his mouth to dislodge the food....more than once

thanks in advance

Maybe he's just not ready for the thicker chunkier stuff just yet. I'd just leave it a week or so and then try again, and see how you go.

Good luck!!

Charlie is a year old and unless he feeds himself chunky foods (like bread and fruit etc) still tends to gag on chunky purees......either that or he just doesn't like tinned stuff!

From memory, Olivia was similar, so I just held off chunky stuff for a few months. She is now 2.5 and eats anything at all, no problem.......

Just hold off.....no harm in delaying it, they all get there in their own time.........

Dianna, Maddy is the same. She'll eat the smooth/pureed stuff but she gags/chokes on the slightly lumpy stuff. She's got her two bottom front teeth and now chews chunks off her rusks and chokes on them. Freaks me out as well. I'm just persisting with the smooth stuff until she is ready/able to chew the lumpier stuff.

thanks girls, i'll see how we go...i think he likes the food too much and tries to eat it too quickly - i'm trying to slow the feed right down but as we all know with babies its all about getting that timing right. and this little guy has to be the most impatient little person i've met to date - i don't know who he got that from

My dd still occasionally has a gag on her food. As she's getting older she's learning to bring it up herself and she doesn't seem bothered at all by it as she'll just go on with more eating. I guess it's a reflex they have to learn. At first if she would choke, so as not to frighten her off solids, i'd try and make the pieces slightly smaller or softer. Also if possible try to bend bubs forward - or even over ur knee - and give her a little bang on her back rather than stick ur fingers down throat - my mum's a nurse and has plenty of not so pleasant stories of mums doing that and actually lodging the objects further down the throat (she's constantly warning me against it - unless of course the other way doesn't work). Hope u have less gagging incidents - it's definately scary isn't it!!!!