Thread: Christening clothes for baby boy

Default Christening clothes for baby boy

Gussyboy is going to be christened in the Uniting Church soon. What do I dress him in for it? I've only been to Catholic christenings before now and all have been baby girls.

Hi Kirtsy,

I know at Catholic Christenings, boys and girls wear the same thing - white gown - normally.

I have also been to a Lutheran Christening, and the bubs there just wore regular clothes, except one who wore a white gown (her mum was Catholic though..)

Sorry, thats not much of a help to you but I'm sure the minister (not sure what they're called in UC) would be able to tell you.

Jack was christened in the Uniting Church and he wore my Christening gown, the same one his older sister wore for her christening and the same one his younger sister wore for her naming day at the Zoo!!!

My brother was chrisened a CofE church and wore a little sailor type outfit because he didn't fit in the christening gown as they had to wait for his christening until a family memeber could arrive to be his Godfather!

Most church christenings that I have been too have involved a christening gown but I am pretty sure whatever you feel comfortable doing is good enough. If you want to buy a special outfit then go ahead. Personally if I was to do that then I would make sure that the shirt was white but as I said that would be my personal choice.

Good luck in your decision making.

Cheers

both my nephews where christened in white gowns too

Love

a lot of boys still get the gown (my husband said it was not to be called a dress)

When we had my son christened at the local catholic church they made a big deal about the fact that you didn't have to wear a white gown and the clothing in white was actually supposed to be part of the ceremony and thus a white shawl or something similar being placed over the child at this point in the ceremony was more representative than bringing them all dolled up in a gown but they realised people have traditions and it was your choice to bring them dressed how you pleased whether it be gown, suit or just in a nappy (actually said to us by the priest - who said if he had his way that's how they should all start the ceremony).

Our DS went in a gown cause my mum had made it prior to us being told any of this.

Pup wash christened in DH's christening gown - a long white one. That was a catholic ceremony. DS also got a white stole which he will use for all sacraments from now on.

A fried of mine had her baby christened at a Lutheran church and he wore a white suit.

If you don't want the long gown (usually a fmaily tradition thing), I'd just go for dressing DS in a nice white outfit. Regardless of the faith, white seems to play a part in the ceremony somewhere.

My nephew was christened in a gorgeous white suit. He was 3 months. SO cute! xo

Zander was not quite 6months old & he wore a white satin suit. There are some photos on his site here if you'd like to have a look.

Hey Tanya.

They can be quite expensive, we saw the most gorgeous suit in David Jones but it was over $100 which was waaay out of our price range. I think it was so expensive because it was made out of the thicker satin used for wedding dresses IYKWIM. The one we got was froma little Asian clothing shop & the satin was just the regular stuff, so not as thick & luxurious as the DJs one.

I think it's just a matter of hunting round for something really. Try searching the net, but again all we found were expensive custom made suits.

i am not really into the gown or babies in suits thing, if Jackson was getting christened, i would probably go for a pair of cords or baby chino's with a lil' pair of dress shoes and a nice button up shirt with his hair all spiked up of course!

I was going to put Dion in the gown the girls all wore ( Uniting church christened ) but he looked "funny" in it < I ended up getting a little satin suit that looked like a dinner suit, but was all in one ( had a vest a bow tie attatched) I got it from purple pumkin for $90

We're christening Blake in 3 weeks in a Catholic ceremony. Unfortunately he wont fit into either side of the family's christening gowns so I bought him a lovely white shirt from Myer and depending on whether it's going to be hot or cold - who knows in Melbourne - he will wear either light tan chinos or shorts.

I think I've got a white fringed blanket/shawl that I might use to hold him in - again, depending on the heat - to make him look a little more 'dressed' for the occasion.

My DS was christened (catholic) in a white suit, that looked like a little tux. It was one piece and made out of a satin type material and had a matching hat. DS#2 will wear this as well when he is christened in may or june. I just thought it would be nice to have a suit instead of a gown, so i guess it all comes down to personal preference.