Thread: Christenings

Default Christenings

Hi girls,

Not sure if this is the right place to introduce the thread, so Mods if you need to move it to another section feel free.

Im catholic and we are organising a christening for Julia early November. DH and I were chatting last night and wondering who to invite. We have 4 godparents, 2 on my side of family and 2 on his side.

Our question is how many friends do you invite? Is this going to turn out to be a big affair like our wedding and have our parents involved asking if they can invite family friends? If this is the case would you opt for a small "family only" christening? This is the way we are thinking. And then having a little gathering afterwards at our place, or lunch at a restaurant we can sit outdoors with our little one to celebrate.

What did you guys do? Which is better? lots of people eg, say around 40 people or around 15-20 people (mostly family).

Thanks girls

Bel
    xxx

Such a confusing thing isn't it? my B & SIL are getting their little boy babptised Catholic next Sunday and they are only having 2 godparents I think, but they are only inviting family and the friends that are involved as godparents. So there will be about 25 people there. I have been to some that are huge events with heaps of people, so I suppose it jst depends on what you and Dh are happy with. I'm sure no one would be offended if they didn't get invited to the ceremony, but you could just have them for a brunch?

This is one of the reasons we are not having a naming day celebration because it just becomes too huge, even if we just invite family it is nearly 70 people. It really comes down to personal choice, but Ithink invite family and maybe only a few close friends who you know are going to be involved in your child's life, it is probably not worth inviting people who you only catch up with a couple of times a year.

We just invited the godparents of course and immediate family.....that alone was 30 people. It can become really huge if you start inviting friends and cousins etc.....plus i didnt want to be running around all day catering for 50+ people......i agree with the comment about inviting those whom will be in your childs life constantly.

We just invited family and close friends (people we see often). We had a lunch at our place (webber roast) and there was about 30 people. Made it easier.

We invited close family, (which only consists of dp's family as mine are over seas) and friends who would be a part of their lives

I'm not planning on christening my children, but other christenings I have been to had mostly close family there, and a few close friends. I think all up there were about 25 people there.

I am having Alexanders Christening next Sunday, Catholic also.. We have 4 godparents, 2 from my side and 2 from DH.. We will then have around 40 adults and 30 kids back at our house for lunch!

We did the same for DD, for us it is am important event in our childs life and we are happy to have it over the top.. We hire a jumping castle for the kids and have the event catered for.. Very easy and every one always helps out..

In the end its personal choice.. We looked at hiring a hall thru the council but and also having it at a local club but in the end decided we preferred to have it at home and get people in to do all the work!

NewmumLou Guest

Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of organising Joshs christening also. Catholic too. We to are having it early November, we have 80 guests coming.... i know crazy isnt it! But where do you stop, we didnt want to offend anyone so we just invited EVERYONE! So far we are having fun organising it but it is exactly like a mini wedding from the cake to placecards to outfits.
    We dont have much to plan as we ended up booking a reception place.... otherwise it ends up as to much to do... they organise all the big things!
    We have 4 godparents... aunties and uncles!
    Goodluck in your preparations!

Hi girls,

Thanks for all your posts!

We have done a guest list, adds up to 30 people so far! I think thats enough, thats mainly family and a few close friends, I hope some people arent offended we didnt invite them.

We are going to have a get together at mum's house afterwards and I will organise some food, sandwiches, mini quiches etc I think.. nice little finger food kinda thing. What do you all think? and ideas of finger food that I maybe able to order?

Bel
    xxx