Thread: Clingy?

Default Clingy?

My 5 month old has become extremely clingy in the last week. She only wants me, particularly by the evenings. She has always been a cuddler, but would be quite happy for Dad to take over in the evenings and he could get her to sleep. This week she doesnt want anyone else, looks at me and starts to cry if I hand her over to anyone else. She is wanting the boob more than usual too (definite comfort sucking going on). She is pretty happy in the mornings, getting progressively worse over the afternoon (I can hardly put her down at all), and then has to be put to sleep by me.
    If my husband leaves the room, he can eventually settle her, but as soon as she sees me again, the tears start up!

Its a beautiful feeling that she only wants me, but so frustrating and tiring too!

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a developmental stage?Teething? Am I doing something wrong? She hates her pram by the afternoons too and our daily walks are now done in the baby carrier after 2 walks where she cried like an abandoned child for 40 mins in the pram (stopping instantly on being picked up) I thought she was too young for learnt behaviour!

Any advice would be grateful

Hawksey - Hi I'm not sure what it is, developmental or what but it does pass! I think it took my daughter 2 wks to get over the worst of it. What we did was just went with the flow, gave her the boob when ever she wanted, put her in the sling and spent lot of time just playing and neglecting the housework. We spent lots of time playing peek a boo and playing around corners so that she learnt what goes away comes back. But if I did have to go I ws firm with her, so I would say goodbye and walk away without hesitation so she learnt that crying isn't the magic pill that brings mummy back.

All the best

~Belinda~ Guest

Hawksey, yep like I said in the other thread, it's happening with Madeleine also. Must be a developmental stage I think, although I think she may be teething too, keep me updated. Belinda xx

Hawksey..Jack is doing the same...has only been like that since Saturday though...I don't mind cuddling and carrying him around with me, but he's so damn heavy!!! I feel your pain!

Tuesday afternoon when I picked Jack up from daycare, I found out the reason behind his clinginess and being unsettled all weekend....hand, foot and mouth disease....a very mild case, but thereyago. There were a few cases at daycare and not just in the nursery room!!! He's on the mend which is great...I have my little smiley man back.