Thread: clingy 7 mnth old

rails2005 Guest

Default clingy 7 mnth old

Can anyone tell me is it normal for babes to go through a stage this early where they only want mum. My little girl is 7 months old and for the last week will only go to sleep for me and refuses to have a bar of Dad. its so fustrating and tiring when she screams every time i leave the room, i dont want to encourage her behaviour but it breaks my heart when i know she just wants me to cuddle her and i cant. I am going back to work in a week so will this pass or should i be doing something about it now?

Kirsty77 Guest

My Niece was really clingy from about 4 months.My sister couldn't go anywhere without her or even leave the room and she'd scream and cry!She's now 11 months and a complete social butterfly and will go to anyone!I think it can basically start at any age!

Melinda Guest

I think it's very normal for babies to go through this.

Jacob went through a stage like this too. I won't lie - the stage lasted for quite a long time. It was really hard work, as he would get extremely distressed if I left the room. I felt terrible just going to the toilet because I could hear him crying hysterically for me and he'd be crawling out to see where I'd gone, the poor little sausage. Dinner time was terrible, as I'd be in the kitchen trying to get it ready, and he'd be crying at my feet, quite often laying across my feet!!!

I wish I had some answers for you, but unfortunately I don't! It was something that we had to work through and it was hard and quite stressful. I tried to reassure Jacob by giving him all the cuddles he needed whenever he needed them, so he knew I was always there. I'd try playing peek-a-boo a lot with him, to try and turn leaving the room into a game, and so he'd know I was coming back, and I'd be talking to him from the other room as I was there, but unfortunately those things didn't work - he just wanted cuddles from Mummy. Obviously there were times when I couldn't cuddle him, as I was preoccupied (i.e. on the loo LOL or had my hands covered in meat or vegies from preparing dinner) so I found that I would do everything as quickly as possible so I could scoop him up and give him that great big cuddle that he needed.

I have found though that by doing this, he knows that I'm there when he needs me. When he doesn't need me and is happy doing his own thing, it's hands off - I let him do his own thing. I've found that this has boosted his self-confidence - he can go and explore things but come back to me, knowing I'll cuddle him if he's scared or just wants reassurance.

So having said all of that, I know how hard it can be when they want to be attached 24/7. It's stressful and you feel like you can't get anything done! But no matter how long this stage lasts, it will pass, and I'm sure that if you offer those cuddles, you'll have one confident little sprite on your hands!

Edited to add: HERE is the post that I did about it some time ago. HTH?

Matthew has been through the same thing and it comes and goes. Especially when he is unwell and teething. It also happenes when I am home alone with him and if I needed to put him down to go to the bathroom or something he would cry hysterically. I have to explain what I am doing at all times to him, let him know I am leaving but coming back and I think that has helped.

I believe that they all go through it at some stage and it does pass. Then I will be wanting all my cuddles and he won't have a bar of me!

jackson has been very clingy with me from day one. in the beginning he didnt even like other people holding him except his daddy, now he loves being cuddled but only by people he knows. but he still only lets me do some things like putting him to sleep, he will only let others do it if he is dead tired. and he wont let anyone feed him his bottle if he knows i am still around, but is fine if i am nowhere to be seen or heard!

Hannah is 7 months and has become seriously clingy in the last couple of weeks. It drives me nuts! From what I have read and been told, it is pretty normal at this age and stage of development...

rails2005 Guest

Thanks everyone glad to know it does pass.
    I was speaking to a mum today and she told me not to fight it just give her what she needs because fighting it will only make it last longer. She also said to establish a verbal routine everytime i leave her even to go to the loo - so say "mummy is just going to the loo i will be right back" then when i come back say a similar thing only "mummy is back now from..... eventually she will realise i do come back.
    Its so tuff being so needed, but i have to say there are a few moments when it makes me feel like the most special person in the entire world. AHHHHHHHH!!! Not looking foward to having to beg for cuddles. lol