Thread: clingy toddler

Default clingy toddler

Hi my little girl is 2 and a half and is a realy little mummies girl. Not that thats a bad thing but I need a break every now and then and I have never had one and I find myself getting really frustrated and stressed out becuase I never get time out. Im not asking for a few days a week, just 10 minutes a week would be great! She will not even go down the shops with her dad, he will ask her and she comes running up to me crying saying "mummy, mummy" and wont let gof me. We have no family or friends up here so I have no one for her to go with, cant afford child care. We put her in dancing last week which she loved and its ony $7.00 a week, which is still hard for us but the problem is they dont like the parents to stay after the first week, and Im even worried bout this week because she has so much fun and im worried they wont let her come back cuz she wont let me leave the room. Am i wrong to want time out? I feel so bad for wanting it. Do you have any advice for me to try an help her out?

nimchimpsky Guest

I'm sorry, not much advice as my little miss is very independent, but maybe you could explain to the dancing class that she is worried when you leave, and they might be ok with you staying? I'm sure they'd rather you stay, than you have to pull her out of the class all together!

Yeah i told the dancing class that, well the teacher noticed how clingy she was. But she was the one who told me I can really only stay one lesson otherwise the other kids (3-5 year olds) will be wondering why their mums arent able to stay. Fair enough I think, Im just so peeved that I have found something she loves to do and I may not be able to go back! I was quite surprised when I went to the class and was told the parents dont stay though!

nimchimpsky Guest

Fair enough - it wouldn't be fair to the other kids that prefer to have their parent there I guess.
    It is odd how parents can't stay!

Do you go to a Playgroup at all?
    Playgroup would be a great chance for her to get used to be around other kids and strange adults, she would have loads of fun, and while she is playing you might get a few minutes to have a cuppa and a chat to some of the other mums?

Yeah thanks Nimchimpsky That was our next thing too. DP found a few numbers of local playgroups for me to ring up, I just keep forgetting to! Will do that, at least I wont have to leave the room and she can mix with other kids!