Thread: co- sleeping question

Default co- sleeping question

Hi Charlotte is such a great sleeper during the day she will self settle 99% of the time and she will sleep anywhere between 1-3 hours at each time, but when it comes to nights she is very restless ans wont go into a deep sleep so i put her in bed with me and she will go to sleep straight away, My question is how long does your baby want to co-sleep for, Her cot is in our room which i am happy about, though DH does not really like this, also how to convince him that is good to have Charlottes cot in our room.
    Over the last few nights she has been in her bed for about 1-2 hours over all and the rest cuddled up to me.

Do you think it is a warmth thing? that she likes to be cuddled next to you for the extra warmth and security? We never actually co-sleep with the kids in our bed, but they were in our room until 3 months and then the cot, but Paige was in a cot in our room until she was nearly 12 months because of reno's we were doing at the time. Is your DH worried about waking her up, or Charlotte waking you up? or is it that he just wants space? It is easier for them to want to have them in their own room at times kwim?

Are you able to put her into her own cot after she has fallen asleep with you?

The SIDS recommendation is that babies sleep in their parents room until they are 6 months so maybe that will help with DH?

I get really tired at night & as soon as Jovie wakes up I bring her into bed with me. I can't be bothered getting back up to put her back in bed. I don't see any problem with it, as I don't drink or smoke or do any of the risks associated with SIDS and co-sleeping. I love knowing where she is & she sleeps really well there.

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

Our Jovi is the same, but if I go to bed early than DH and she is in bed with me, he puts her back in her bed. Working full time then coming home to run the house certainly takes it out of you ...

Christy ... I can't believe you names your daugher Jovie! How strange ... were did you get the idea from if I may ask? Ours is pretty obvious

DS co slept until he was about 9-12mths. we would put him down in his cot for the first few hours then when he woke for his first feed he would come in with us. He still visits occassionally if he has a bad night but started sleeping through the whole night in his own bed at about 2yrs

Hi Saram -
    Your post has given me hope that SOME day my son will sleep through the night!

DS will be 10 months old on the 13th and still wakes frequently throughout the night. He always starts the night out in his own bed (he is in our room and was sleeping in a handmade extra large cradle but has now moved to a porta-cot while daddy finishes refurbishing his cot) and then I bring him in to bed with us at some point in the night depending on how tired I am.

He is rejecting a lot of solid food right now so is rather insistent for boobie in the night and I feel I need to give it to him since I'm unsure how much food he is actually getting down his gob in the daytime.

Last night he came in to bed with me at 12:30am, slept well until 4:30am, then was awake every hour after that for boobie until we got up at 8am.

I am just glad to hear that someone else had night sleeping issues and survived them! Any hints, thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated though as to how I could encourage him to eat more solids, thus have less boobie, and MAYBE sleep more at night!

Aidyn co-slept with us on and off until he was about 8 months, and then because our bed was getting too squashy, but he didnt like being alone in his bedroom, we moved his cot right up next to our bed, between the bed and wall, and took one of the sides off so he was easy to reach & cuddle. This option worked extremely well for us, and he stayed right by our bedside until about 14 months when he moved back to his room. Even since moving back to his bedroom he still has his bad days and weeks where he wants to cosleep with us, which we are happy to let him do.

Heidi - is he teething? Tallon sleeps with us when he's teething, as he only seems to suffer with it during the night. He also goes off solids a bit during teething too.

have you researched co-sleeping? the benefits are enormous
    maybe print some stuff out for your dh to read.

bree has co-slept from birth, she started in a bassinett next to the bed - but she stopped feeding during the night at a few months old and i wasn't happy with that:P (too early!) - so she started co-sleeping fulltime then.if she wasnt in our bed, she was on a mattress in the lounge until i went to bed.
    now she is about 22 months, sometime along the way we put the cot sidecarred against the bed. she starts the night in the cot (unless dh wants to cuddle her (its abit addictive) LOL - and finally stays there until say roughly 7 in the morning, when she may feed once or twice or more until i /we/she gets up.

Liz -
    Yes, James is teething at the moment! His top front teeth came in one after the other at the beginning of November and then with hardly any break, the top side two teeth are coming in. One is through the skin and the other one is working on it but hasn't quite made it.

I guess I'll just hang in there and hope that things improve after these teeth arrive and MAYBE we'll get a bit of a break before the bottom side teeth come in!

We're enjoying a kind of break atm. Tallon cut 5 teeth all at once poor little man Now we're waiting for bottom side teeth too.

Heidi, hopefully you will get a break!

Baby_Crazy 05 its very odd because Jovie's middle name is Lee too!! Lee is my maiden surname & both our girls have Lee as their surnames. Jovie we got from the movie "Elf" funnily enough... we were going through all the girls names in movies we had recently seen & found Jovie and fell in love with it... we've had a lot of Bon Jovi calls on it though

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

We got Jovi from Bon Jovi (big fans ... lol) but I made DH find me some examples and elf was one of them, plus we found a meaning on the net - Happy. She gets Lee from me ... its my middle name as well.

What a small world, we loved the meaning too! I meant that Lee is both of the girls middle names, d'oh LOL.