Thread: Comfort Sucking her fingers

Default Comfort Sucking her fingers

The girl that works for DH has a three year old girl that comfort suck her three middle fingers on her left hand. She asked me if I might know how to teach her NOT to do that and first thing that popped into my head were you girls on BB

So how do you un-teach a todler to suck her fingers??

I apparently did this when I was around 2, mum gave me a pillow case to suck on instead. I ended up becoming addicted to this for the next 4 years!! And apparently it stank!! :-)

My friend did a bit of a mind play with her 3 yr old with his thumb. She got dressed up and called herself the thumb docter, came in to 'treat' her sons thumb. Explaining to him that his thumb was tired (etc). It worked. He stopped sucking his thumb. I've heard of other mums doing this with other attachment toys. I think the more theatrical you make it the better the child will believe it.

Good luck to your friend!

buy her some pretty gloves that shes picks and wont want to take them off. Its prob just a habit so hopefully it will help her to forget about.

Give her something else to comfort her.. a pillow.. a toy... i knew a boy once who used to carry around satin boxers.

get that nail polish stuff that stops u from biting ur nails and put it on her nails.

Unimum - LOL I can believe that that pillowcase stank ... eeeeewwwww

Thanks for the idea's Unimum and Hollye ... I'll convey them to B and let her test them out. I especially like the idea of putting on gloves. With winter coming around, that could work

my parents tried it all
    even chilli and i sucked my fingers until i was 12